Spider collecting with Rod Crawford!

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, had been meaning to post this sooner, but life got crazy for me suddenly and spiders took a backseat. But now I'm awesome and my spark for the hobby has returned. Rod posted the narrative and photos about the trip a while ago, but I'm posting it now to share the experience :)

Photos:http://crawford.tardigrade.net/journal/album7015.html

And narrative: http://crawford.tardigrade.net/journal/Journal20.html#7015

Also, practically every spider I saw on the trip was brand new to me. I only recognized the basics of what the spiders were...like Antrodiaetus, a few Callobius....the rest were just "funnel webby" or " tree webby" or..."under log" hahaha. It was a ton of fun and I saw some REDICULOUSLY beautiful spiders. Rod is awesome, he is a database of information.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great stuff! I love reading Rod's journals. What a terrific opportunity it is for you to work with an arachnologist of his caliber!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so lucky :(
now i know tyros name ...hehe

hope you continue to do awesome things tyro :)

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great stuff! I love reading Rod's journals. What a terrific opportunity it is for you to work with an arachnologist of his caliber!
Oh! That reminds me, on the trip when we were sweeping the meadow, I caught a spider I had never seen before, but recognized because of you! It was a Tibellus spider. I was surprised at how small they are because all the pictures I have seen of them make them look really big. {D

I also saw some beautiful flower crab spiders in that meadow!

I hope to be able to go with him again, he did seem pretty pleased with some of the spiders I got for him. :D

CentipedeFreak- :cool: He was really nice and even linked to my Youtube, I had no idea he'd do that, but I'm glad he did! I just really need a better webcam, or a dSLR so I can do more justice to the spiders.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Wow- neat finds, esp. the A. occultus & M. idahoana(sp?)! Looks like fun. Are you an "official" member of SCARABS, Tyro?

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not a member of SCARABS, I am considering it when I can drive!

The A.occultus was a crazy amazing thing....it was sorta funny when I was holding it to try and keep it still for a photo, Rod told me.." Be careful, I don't know the effects of it's bite" or something along those lines.

I was like....deeerrr.....:? I like holding spiders, after handling my D.okefinokensis, I am pretty sure I can hold anything.

The Antrodiaetus male was huge too, and so beautiful. I wanted to keep all the spiders alive. I'd have so much video material! :drool:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm envious!!
I have been pestering Mr. Crawford for years with my spider questions. He always starts his replies with 'I don't know S.E. Asian spiders, but...' :wall:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Snark- Yeah haha, I have heard him tell me it's kind of frustrating when people send him photos or ask for ID's of spiders he has never seen before. I know he is pretty familiar with Russian spiders and harvestman, and has been to some other areas ( Islands I think?) but his expertise is on local spiders. Local, as in Washington State. But I don't doubt that he would have a good idea in general about spiders from other countries, you just can't expect him to give you something solid, or anything beyond families or subfamilies.

He has a pretty tough job, it's amazing how many people he responds to. He has always given me amazingly detailed replies when he knows a thing or two about the spider, or ways to I.D. it.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Sounds like you had fun, there is a trip coming up in Columbia Hills area of the gorge you should try and make it to.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Off topic-ish: Yah, forgot to mention that, T. Several ABers and such will be down on the Columbia R. for a look at the local fauna Labor day weekend. PM for details...

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I had no idea! I'll ask my mom about it, but I suspect we might have plans for that day. :(

I'll see.

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
looked like a great time..:eek:
only wish i lived in Washington :D the true spiders of NY are cool but i want to see some others from different states.