SPiDeR CaRe

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok this may sound dumb .. but if you have an agressive or fast T , How do U do clean ( ie. get dead left overs out , new substrate or whatever ) This new Avic I have is quite the speedy fellow and I dont want to chance having an escape . Question part 2 how often do I need to change substrate? I noticed my rose I kept her on a fine muclh talkin real fine I got at a pet store , but there was alot of moisture on the innner walls of her home . So I changed substrate and added more AIR holes for better ventilation. But in return she acted weird and didnt wanna be pestered for a day or so til she got used to the new area. Is this bad > frequent changes? What im getting at is I want a Cobalt soooo bad .. but wanna get all the Handling ideas outta my head cause I know that wont ever happen . I just wanna know if I had to move it I could without being bitten bad. I hear horror stories on here about how mean Cobalts can be. I mean these guys wont put U in the hospital .. or can they? Thanx ...... FRoST ......

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Learn to use asian chopsticks. You can use those really long ones and neither of you 2 will be in any danger at any time.

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lam : are u serious. Id squash it 4 sure .. you outta see me eat Stir Fry ...
but really ? any other ways?

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Take a deli cup, put it over the T with your tweezers, slide the lid under it and pull it out.
Its what i do with my flashy T's :D

Ian

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
To completely remove the T from it's quarters, use the method Disturbed mentioned.
As far as cleaning crickets parts out, I use really long tweezers. I got a set of 3 tweezers (8", 10", 12") off Ebay for about $12. A lot of people use chopsticks, but I'm so damn uncoordinated it's not funny.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive got a 12" pair of hemostats that i use. I "Borrowed" them from work. :)

-Jason

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
this is definitely an opportunity to use my 18" hemostats that i bought for purposes of fiesty reptile feeding. (grin)

you can easily pick some up from a reptile show for only a bit of moolah if anyone is looking for some.

www.kingsnake.com has the best Event listings around in my opinion. obviously...for reptiles or exotics.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
avics aren't that bad so you could just have someone hold it for you while you clean it.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh true true, and i will never (hear that, 'never' someone remind me later) own something bitey. forget that! i have snakes that get twitchy during shed, that's good enough for me. especially my larger ones...hehehe.

however, right now, an A. versicolor is my MOST coveted spider. i dream of them...(SIGH)

:p so preeettty....

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My husband when he cleans out the tanks is put a smaller tank inside the cage and gives the Tarantula patiences but also helps it into the smaller tank then when the spider is in he quickly puts a lid a snaps it on.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I use a clear cup about the size of a yogurt cup. Put it over the T, slide the lid underneath and viola! T in a cup! Of course, I'm USED to doing it this way.... if it makes you nervous, DON'T.

They spend alot of time making their home to their liking so I don't like to destroy it!! You only need to clean them out every 4-6 months, unless you have a lot of dead cricket parts. Those should be removed asap. A long stick with a ball of masking tape with the sticky side out will do that GREAT.