Spider Behavior

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, I changed my Rosies substrate from ground coconut husk to peat, and the next morning, he had a thin layer of web all over the cage. Never saw this with the coconut husk. Now hes sitting in the corner continuously "grooming" his palps, and front legs. (Rubbing them underneath himself, and under his fangs)

How should this be viewed? Did he web it up because he doesnt like the substrate? or because he does like it, and is setting up "home"?

any ideas?

Oh, and its still kinda damp in there, (fresh peat) but its drying out.

any ideas?

-Jason

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Completely normal behaviour. The peat probably stuck alot more to the legs than the coir did, and after webbing, the T decided to clean itself off.

I've seen many of mine, including my rosie, do this from time to time.

Bill

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rosies like the substrate drier, so if its damp, he'll like it better as it dries. Rosies like to do interior decorating with their webbing. Pedipalp grooming is normal too. :)

Originally posted by Mendnwngs
So, I changed my Rosies substrate from ground coconut husk to peat, and the next morning, he had a thin layer of web all over the cage. Never saw this with the coconut husk. Now hes sitting in the corner continuously "grooming" his palps, and front legs. (Rubbing them underneath himself, and under his fangs)

How should this be viewed? Did he web it up because he doesnt like the substrate? or because he does like it, and is setting up "home"?

any ideas?

Oh, and its still kinda damp in there, (fresh peat) but its drying out.

any ideas?

-Jason

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Besides rosies, you should be able to observe such behavior in other species as well. Webbing is another way they use to decorate their territory as well as sensing the vibration made by their preys. How "wet" are you keeping the substrate?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My rosie and curly both do this, no matter how wet or dry the substrate is.

Vermiculite, fine peat, coarse peat - seems to make no difference :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Laying the silk down means she's getting comfortable, good sign.

Cheers,
Steve

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Besides rosies, you should be able to observe such behavior in other species as well. Webbing is another way they use to decorate their territory as well as sensing the vibration made by their preys. How "wet" are you keeping the substrate?
Im not, Its just the substrate is damp because it just came out of the bag. It should dry out in a couple days. I leave my Rosea pretty dry (50% or so) Plus a water dish..

:)

-Jason