sphagnum peat moss...weird stuff growing...

Black Label Invertebrates

ArachnoCore
Old Timer
I've been using sphagnum peat moss for all my T enclosures for about 4 months now, and have had no problems with it until now. I noticed small white ball like things in the substrate. Its not in any of my dry tanks, only the ones that are moist (not swampy at all lol, just barely wet). Does anyone know what this is??? Also the white ball things are gathered together in clumps...I'll try and get pics as soon as i can...:?:?:?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
S'graped, It's a mold/fungus. Pretty sure there's no cause for alarm. I used to see these sporadically in my large T burgundy enclosure. They are/were easy to remove and never seemed to cause any trouble. I have not seen them in my T burgundy sling's enc since I've had it, though. :)

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try microwaving the substrate for 5 minutes before using.This will usually kill anything in the substrate.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
is it a avic? my little avic shoots poop and it looks like little white balls stuck to the moss just a idea :)

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
I've had the same happen to me before, usually when my substrate is wet for too long, let your enclosure dry out a bit, made my enclosure clear up.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Happens especially when you have food remains lying around.
Never bothered my Ts or pedes though.