Sphagnum moss with scorpions

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I k

Tertrigid?? Is this an isopod?? OK know what you mean and I do see your point. But I washed all the soil off with boiling water and I can gaurenteed no pestiicides or chemical have touched my mum's garden. I'm going to see if it starts to spread of not I'll take it out and buy a bag of moss seed from a garden centre
Tetrigids are pygmy grasshoppers. Sorry, I had meant to put that up with my post but I missed it! If you're putting things in boiling water that should really knock things down. No guarantee but significantly better!

david booth

Arachnosquire
Tetrigids are pygmy grasshoppers. Sorry, I had meant to put that up with my post but I missed it! If you're putting things in boiling water that should really knock things down. No guarantee but significantly better!
Dont have to apologise pal. I've been thinking of getting some isopods?? Which are the easiest to keep with tropical scorpions (h.petersii)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dont have to apologise pal. I've been thinking of getting some isopods?? Which are the easiest to keep with tropical scorpions (h.petersii)
There are several species that will do well with tropical scorps. Purple isos (Isopoda sp. purple), dwarf whites (Trichorhina tomentosa), rough isopods (Porcellio scaber), etc. I'm sure you can find someone over there who has a good cleanup species for you.

david booth

Arachnosquire
There are several species that will do well with tropical scorps. Purple isos (Isopoda sp. purple), dwarf whites (Trichorhina tomentosa), rough isopods (Porcellio scaber), etc. I'm sure you can find someone over there who has a good cleanup species for you.
Thanks matey I'm going to google it and see what I can come up with. Also have you ever seen crickets in any of your setups eating eachother?? I have black crickets in with h.peterssi, I came home just now and found one cricket eating another I don't know wether one of the scorps stung it and left it or wether the crickets has killed it??

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck! Crickets are opportunistic cannibals, so you could have had one that was getting ready to molt, sick, or just dying and the other cricket decided it was going to try eating it.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Good luck! Crickets are opportunistic cannibals, so you could have had one that was getting ready to molt, sick, or just dying and the other cricket decided it was going to try eating it.
Ahh ok mate that makes sense. I suppose in the wild they can't be to choosey lol. Have you ever used locusts as feeders. Or are crickets better, I want to try something new??

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ahh ok mate that makes sense. I suppose in the wild they can't be to choosey lol. Have you ever used locusts as feeders. Or are crickets better, I want to try something new??
Sadly we can't get locusts here in the US, which is too bad since I've always wanted to try them as a feeder. Honestly, roaches are king when it comes to feeders. They don't smell nearly as bad, don't make any noise, super easy/cheap to keep and they don't eat each other or your pets. Red runner or Turkistan roaches (Shelfordella lateralis) would probably work best for you.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Sadly we can't get locusts here in the US, which is too bad since I've always wanted to try them as a feeder. Honestly, roaches are king when it comes to feeders. They don't smell nearly as bad, don't make any noise, super easy/cheap to keep and they don't eat each other or your pets. Red runner or Turkistan roaches (Shelfordella lateralis) would probably work best for you.
OK buddy thankyou. I'll get some locusts and roaches. I'll let you know how I get on :) why can't you get them??

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Alright that makes more sense haha.

Also, never underestimate the determination of a burrowing Scorpion. My trio of P. imperator 4i managed to completely fill in the pre-started burrows I gave them under their hides and rework their entire tunnel structure so that now there are a couple of entrances randomly in the middle of the substrate where they can enter/exit.
Big reason I don't do starter burrows anymore. They do what and when they want, irregardless.
I formed starter burrows for H. arizonensis only to have them dig in a totally different location. Now I can only view the when they're on the surface hunting. :(

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK buddy thankyou. I'll get some locusts and roaches. I'll let you know how I get on :) why can't you get them??
No problem, happy to help! And please do :) Rules and regs in the US unfortunately. There would probably be a way to keep native species as feeders, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest, especially when crickets are cheap and easy to get, as are feeder roaches.

david booth

Arachnosquire
I
Big reason I don't do starter burrows anymore. They do what and when they want, irregardless.
I formed starter burrows for H. arizonensis only to have them dig in a totally different location. Now I can only view the when they're on the surface hunting. :(
I didn't dig and started burrows in mine either I've just let them crack. They do dig down. And start to make a tunnel but there white happy there. They don't really make tunnels. They proberly dig about four inches down and then two or three in any direction and that's it. But I'm scared it will collapse on them lol

david booth

Arachnosquire
Ok
No problem, happy to help! And please do :) Rules and regs in the US unfortunately. There would probably be a way to keep native species as feeders, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest, especially when crickets are cheap and easy to get, as are feeder roaches.
OK dude. That's a shame. There's so many locust over here in the UK lol. But roaches are really hard to get hold of.

david booth

Arachnosquire
That is usually quite true.

My arid species are overall significantly more active.
It's abis sad really because they really are fascinating creatures. There's so much character. And you never see them lol
If you go with an arid genus. You have to deal with a more agressive animal and higher venom content

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok

OK dude. That's a shame. There's so many locust over here in the UK lol. But roaches are really hard to get hold of.
Really is a bummer lol. Shoot, I'd probably keep a colony just for the fun of it if I could give them enough space and food. Why are roaches hard to get a hold of?

david booth

Arachnosquire
I
Really is a bummer lol. Shoot, I'd probably keep a colony just for the fun of it if I could give them enough space and food. Why are roaches hard to get a hold of?
Me too if you have five or six you'll defo see at least one of them haha. I just haven't seen any in ages. Black and brown Crickets, morio worms and locust are everywhere. Roaches are really hard to get hold of. Unless you want the big hissing ones then they're in pet shops but they're to big for feeders lol. They seem happy on the black Cricks but I'm sure one has had a brood in the tank it was kicking its legs into the sub and sticking it's abdomen in the ground. Then that night I saw tiny crickets hopping around

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's abis sad really because they really are fascinating creatures. There's so much character. And you never see them lol
If you go with an arid genus. You have to deal with a more agressive animal and higher venom content
They are "defensive" not aggressive. Venom potency varies from species to species regardless if they are arid or forest etc.
I say if you are looking at getting a desert species then go for it.