Spermatophore acceptance

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to tell whether the female has accepted the males spermatophore?
I let 3 of my female L.q's mate over the last couple of months and have been trying to observe any differences each time.

With the first female, the spermatophore was standing dead straight after the male pulled the female over it.
The second female, the spermatophore remained flat on the ground after he pulled her over it.
The third, it was slightly raised of the ground afterwards.

I am guessing the angle of the spermatophore after mating can't really indicate a successful acceptance or not?

Maybe someone with more experience mating scorpion can shine some light on this.

Thanks.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What did the female do after being pulled over the flat one?

Usually there's quite a reaction after successful mating

brolloks

Arachnobaron
What did the female do after being pulled over the flat one?

Usually there's quite a reaction after successful mating
What I have noticed is that it is usually the male that has more of a reaction and dashes away as fast as possible. The females seem to respond to sudden "Hump and dash" and they soon start to run around the enclosure. At which point I have made sure to remove the male.

It's quite intriguing to see their behaviour when I put them together. The male with this crazy twitching, trying to calm the female and get her to submit. And then once she is dazed by his "slick moves";) and they do their dance, he drops the payload and disappears before she even realises what has happened.

Last edited: