Spermathecae visible at 1 inch???

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it possible that the spermathecae (esp grammostolas) is already visible at 1"? i successfully opened a few 1" exhuviums but i cant seem to see a spermathecae. is it too small to see? or maybe its becos its male? btw i used a hand magnifying glass to examine the exhuvium

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
at 1", your t is impossible to sex from a molt, even with a magnifying glass. it's just too small. maybe it's possible with a good microscope, but i don't know if at 1", there is something to see already... anyone help me out on this?

i sex my ts around 2.5-3". at that size, you should be able to see at least the uterus externus with a magnifying glass.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello alice. i opened the exhuviums and i see clearly in between the upper book lungs wer the spermathecae is supposed to be located. but i only see blank. looking like male of 2-3 inch exhuviums. is it possible that it is a female and the spermathecae is not yet visible? i need opinions because i don't trust myself so please help me out guys :D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, i think it is possible that the spermathecae is not yet developed enough for you to be able to see anything. but maybe there are ppl here who know better - i've never been able to sex a t that small.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks a lot alice, i hope you are right. any other guys or girls who can help us out?

talkenlate?

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my blondi's legspan is around 3" now...would i be able to sex it with or without a magnifying glass?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
3" should be easily big enough to sex. just wait for her next molt and open the exuvium carefully. then go to the sexing thread here on the boards and have a look at what you are supposed to find ;). maybe if you can even post a very clear and close-up ventral pic, we could try and sex it without a molt. no guarantee on that though ;).

yes talkenlate, how about you tell us - have you ever sexed a t at 1"?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's possible if you have a good scope. Usually on those that small, I make a judgement as tentative and wait for the next molt to either confirm or reject my earlier call. Sometimes for the heck of it, I'll even rejudge after a 3rd molt. I figure, if I get the same answer three times in a row I can't really be wrong then lol.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I've sexed a few (hehe) molts that were small. ( people sending them to me and my own )

I have a decent setup and here's my take:

- I have seen spermathecae on exuviums that were small

- I have seen exuviums that were ambiguous

- I have seen exuviums that had no signs of any sex organs but that showed up in later molts

Until I've seen two in a row that point one way or another I don't say that I'm certain with spiders under 1.5 inches.
But my first guess is usually correct. so far

some exceptions are the 1" molts where you see the spermathecae and the uterus externus plainly..

BE CAREFUL .. some male spiders have structures that to the unfamiliar might look like spermathecae.

so my answer to the Orig Poster is .. it depends.
but not likely with a hand lens

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
same species but a female.

BOTH spiders under 1.5 inches
H. maculata