Spermathecae sexing;P. metallica

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm I thought it grew together, where the heck did I read that?. Ahh well learned something new. Maybe it was all in my head :p

EDIT- ok so where did the term fused Spermathecae come from then?

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
even if you don't see the spermathecae yet... you shoud see the uterus externus. and i don't see that in these pics.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
uterus externus
So you can see that before the spermathecae are formed even though it is so transparent? If that is the case I have a few molts I am going to go and re check. :D

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in some species yes. the M. balfouri can be sexed at very small size!!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does the uterus externus move at all? Meaning would it separate itself from the rest of the molt at all if I tried to lift it with a toothpick?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Took some ventral shots for people over on ATS, why not go ahead and put um here also.
With flash

W/O flash

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's a shot from a 4" or so P. met. These are very difficult to see on smaller ones, try a combination of front and back lighting. As far I as I know they do not fuse.

Bill

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I learned more from one article about sexing than from my entire time keeping tarantulas so far. Thanks a lot for that awesome link!!!

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They will fuse at the base, but retain the twin lobes - a unique combination for Poecilotheria ;-)

Regards
Søren

Here's a shot from a 4" or so P. met. These are very difficult to see on smaller ones, try a combination of front and back lighting. As far I as I know they do not fuse.

Bill

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just thought I'd show you pics of my female P metallica as well, and just to say that they didn't have that little 'triangle' when looked at ventrally. I think your is a male

I have 4 of them and the 3 are now confirmed females with the 4th one being a bit small to know for sure yet. However, none of the females had that little telltale triangular patch between the booklungs when viewed ventrally. So I'm guessing male for my 4th and yours too ;)

I think that patch is the male epiandrous fusillae as described by Rick West (http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html/)

Last edited:

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, Taki
Can you get ventral shots of the confirmed females and possible male?