Sperm web?

Ohmu

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I have a Brachypelma Emilia about 2.5 years old. Recently I noticed this thing in his/her (no clue) terrarium:

I thought it might be a sperm web, but I looked it up on Google an to be honest it doesn't really look alike too much. So I decided to ask here if maybe someone knows what that might be?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I thought it might be a sperm web, but I looked it up on Google an to be honest it doesn't really look alike too much. So I decided to ask here if maybe someone knows what that might be?
  1. The result of a cycle of sealing itself in and then breaking the seal. (The rim of my Avic's main entrance looks the same way -- thickened on the edge.)
  2. Rolled up feeding/molting mat.
  3. edit: Remnants of sperm web

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Def not a sperm web. Spermwebs are almost always destroyed after they charge up.
This is just a mat in its lair wether it be a "feeding" mat or just to make themselves cozy.

cold blood

Staff member
Def not a sperm web. Spermwebs are almost always destroyed after they charge up.
This is just a mat in its lair wether it be a "feeding" mat or just to make themselves cozy.
Yeah, but a thick line if webbing is almost always left over

The real question is...is the t in question even a MM? If it is, its almost certainly a sperm web...if its not mature...then it couldn't possibly be a sperm web.

Ohmu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your replies guys!

The real question is...is the t in question even a MM? If it is, its almost certainly a sperm web...if its not mature...then it couldn't possibly be a sperm web.
I assume MM means mature male? Tbh I have no clue, I'm a casual keeper and its my first and only tarantula. I will attach some photos of it, maybe it will clarify something for you.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thanks for your replies guys!

I assume MM means mature male? Tbh I have no clue, I'm a casual keeper and its my first and only tarantula. I will attach some photos of it, maybe it will clarify something for you.

On the second photo it certainly looks like a MM but the first set of legs are covering what look like bulbous palps which a MM would have, I can't see any tibial hooks though, a picture of the pedipalps from front on would expel any doubt, looks like a sperm web, but it could be any webbing from a feeding web to a web curtain. Post some pics concentrating on the front appendages and the first set of legs. What's that in front of the T in the second photo?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
A piece of his recent molt I suppose. Here's a photo of his front legs (hope its good enough):

Yes he's a MM with bulbous pedipalps and tibial hooks for mating, so it was a sperm web in the photo, hope this clears things up...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, you have a nice MM there. I agree with CB that it's likely a sperm web.

Here is the leftovers from my MM P.fasciata's sperm web. He recently made another on when my female molted out.

Last edited:

M3rcurY176

Arachnopeon
Came late to the party, just in case anyone still wonders about what sperm webs look like, i have a video of my b. vagans making one. Quite lucky to catch him doing his thing. If you are willing to watch the vid, the part where the T starts webbing 44 seconds into the vid

Last edited: