Sperm Web Frequency

T

Tarantula

How often will males spin a sperm web? The spider that I acquired may not have made one before I got it so attempting to breed them will be a waste of time. If I wait and let him spin another one how long could I have to wait?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The male I have took about a week to make his web.
I think once they get use to their new enclosure, a comfort zone so to speak, they'll build a sperm web. IMO
You may never see it, or maybe you'll just see a small amount of whats left on the floor of the tank.
Keep a sharp eye out.:)

Look next to the T's foot, that is all that remains of its sperm web.

Hope it helps'
Ernie

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
And while on the subject.. how long are valid palps 'charged'?

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My guy made its first web about 2 weeks after he matured male. I put him with a female and they did the wild thing for a couple days. Took him out and put him into a new cage. He took about a week to make a new web.
If your asking how long till yours makes a web? I guess it depends on, if he ever loaded his guns or not before you received him.
I saw my male make his first web, I received him the day after he molted male, so all I know for sure is: If a male Tarantula breeds, he will re-load soon after he is back in a safe place. He never attempted to build a new web in Her enclosure. Thats how it went for me.
But you know what? I could be way out in left field on this.

Ernie

As for your question Bill,
I guess the only way to find out would be, not to breed a charged male and watch it close enough to know when he charges them again. :?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula
How often will males spin a sperm web? The spider that I acquired may not have made one before I got it so attempting to breed them will be a waste of time. If I wait and let him spin another one how long could I have to wait?
Hi,
Usually a male will spin the sperm web within the first three weeks or so after ulimate molt, then every one to two weeks thereafter (providing he is put to the females regularly)for about 3 months or so, depending on species. Then the sperm web building usually starts to peter out. There are always exceptions though. Like Ernie said, the males will devour the web as soon a charging is complete, so you have to keep a good eye out. A typical sign that a male has built the web is a bowl shaped depression in the substrate, although this is from experience with old worlders, don't know about the new world T's.

Cheers,
Steve

ExoLife

Arachnopeon
Let's assume that they're not loaded will they still do perform mating?
like i never saw my male made its spermweb just hoping he made one and i just never saw it.
i tried to pair them and they actually mated. just wanna know if female can be receptive even if the male isn't loaded. i saw some insertion tho. just wanna know if they will still perform that insertion thing even if hes not loaded.

hoping that he made his girlfriend pregnant lol. i let em finish untill they separate ways

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Let's assume that they're not loaded will they still do perform mating?
like i never saw my male made its spermweb just hoping he made one and i just never saw it.
i tried to pair them and they actually mated. just wanna know if female can be receptive even if the male isn't loaded. i saw some insertion tho. just wanna know if they will still perform that insertion thing even if hes not loaded.

hoping that he made his girlfriend pregnant lol. i let em finish untill they separate ways
They will go through the motions, even if he has no sperm available.

ExoLife

Arachnopeon
she getting huge now but she doesnt glow when i do candle light method. when do they start to glow? and how long does it take usually after they mated to lay their eggs?

esa space station

Arachnoknight
D
Did he mature in your care or is he on loan from someone.As a general rule they usually make one every week or two for first few month then monthly uptil 6-7months/some breeders i know assure me they are at the most viable those first 6months unless of course a successfull eggsack results in which case they are a keeper.

DirtyJ

Arachnopeon
she getting huge now but she doesnt glow when i do candle light method. when do they start to glow? and how long does it take usually after they mated to lay their eggs?
What do you mean by "glow" ? And what is this candle light method you're referring to? Something similar to "candeling" reptile eggs??