Spelling Tarantula Names Game 2

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I rewrote the high score board (I had to use PHP, XML, mySQL, and actionscript) I vague on some of those languages but I somehow managed to get this to work. I couldn't change the old link so I'm reposting a new link. Once I know this works I'll transfer the top 10 scores from the other database.

I removed Avicularia amazonica and added 10 additional species.

Here are my original rules...

Disclaimer:
I'm a self-taught hobbiest flash actionscript programmer. I have never had a programming class, so only constructive criticism please.

I made a game to practice tarantula names. Here are the rules.

A scientific tarantula name will appear. (The game will randomly ask you 15 of 60 names.) Some of the letters will be missing in the specie name. You need to figure out the specie and fill in the missing letters.

You will score 5 points for each correct letter. You will lose 15 points for each incorrect letter or letters left blank. There is a 30 sec timer. If you answer quickly the time left on the timer will be added to your score as points. If the timer runs out, you lose 10 points.

You can post your scores at the end. You will need to type your arachnoboards username if you want friends to recognize you. There is not a swearword filter on the names you use, so please don't get this banned by using inappropriate names. I will erase any inappropriate names I see.

You can use enter on the keyboard to submit your answer more quickly, but the enter button is disabled until the timer has initialized.

You cannot use capital letters.

Be challenged and have fun. ( I hope. ) If I've spelled something wrong, please let me know.

New link...

http://www.spanishspanish.com/aaaarachnoboards/game/arachnoboards62.html

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i still get amazonica just letting you know

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got 810 while playing the first version a little while ago... but Cass had to go and beat me out of the top again. :}

Thanks for the game, Tom. Really addicting and great for procrastination. Familiarized myself with a few new names as well. :D

Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I got 810 while playing the first version a little while ago... but Cass had to go and beat me out of the top again. :}
My last high score was 806.

I have been trying to stay away, it's addicting. Especially when I'm avoiding doing things that need to be done.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang.. I am so good I would rather no say what my score was.. :rolleyes:
*Sigh* OK.. It was.... Wait.. I cant do it... NO! I have to.. My score... Was..
OK.. OK.. I still suck... 404... :8o What? I am a bad speller.. If there was a dang spell check on there I bet I could beat you all! {D

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
829! :D

Okay, I'm going to go do laundry now, I swear.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
My Latin and vertebrate taxonomy is near flawless, but my familiarity with Theraphosid taxonomic binomials is far from so...I will have to study more before I can tackle this game with any success.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Tom

Hey y'all, Wow! This is a really fun game and it is currently STILL kicking my butt! You guys-n-gals 1-12 RULE!! I'm a fairly good speller but still can't type for crap. This is excellent for practice and helping me get a li'l quicker with my two fingers. I began typing in the early 90's at a late age in life in order to send lists of birds to the Labird listserv. I cannot decide now while playing if I'm having the time of my life or whether to smash the keyboard! My best is still low 790's ;P;P;P;P{D{D{D{D

Thanks again, Tom,

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Finally, after 883 gazillion tries I made it into the top 10. Can't currently remember ranking or score, though :eek:

For those of you that haven't tried........ this is LOADS of fun! {D. Possibly more costly for temperamental types, though- may need a new laptop soon :8o. Naah, but the thought crossed my mind more than once! {D{D

Cheers,

Terry

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh my, I was horrible at this.. there are so many species I can't spell for poop.