Specification: Arb/Ter/Fos

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
While we all have our "turn ons" is it possible to end up being an "expert" (and I use that term loosely) in one of the 3 T types, but knowing f-all in the other two?

For example, my first T is an arb. My next T is likely to be another arb. I know absolutely sod all about ter and fos type species, but feel very comfortable about the arb species.

Is it a case of putting your eggs in one basket? Or is is a case of jack of all trades, master of f-all?

Opening this point as an interesting discussion topic :)

Go T keepers!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
2/41/0 here. Pretty heavy on them terrestrial critters. I'll probably always have 1 or 2 arboreals, but they're much less my thing.

boina

Lady of the mites
I actively dislike fossorials. I have 3 or 4 (out of 165) and I don't want any more. I still picked up a bit of information about them here and there, but then I have a memory like a sticky fly trap...

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I am all about fossorials 8 total, I have 2 arboreals and 3 terrestrials. I don't think it's about putting eggs in a basket but more or less what you prefer. I prefer an enclosure filled to the brim with dirt that has a hole in that dirt, therefore I am a fossorial kinda guy.

Eva

Arachnosquire
11/18/12
Never thought to count my Ts like this.
I have favourite genera which I tend to want to own regardless of what habitat they prefer and it is the same with my knowledge about them.
This is also why it seems wierd to me that the OP feels very comfortable about arboreals after becoming the owner of just one. There are so many genera and many of them quite different interms of keeping!:eek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actively dislike fossorials. I have 3 or 4 (out of 165) and I don't want any more..
:(

Obligate burrowers, obligate burrowers! :)

If there isn't a 'burrow' has to be fake :bored:

All you have to witness is the majesty of a burrow in a 'triumph' of substrate :bored: :bored:

Yes, I can care for every kind of T's obviously but, obligate burrowers, obligate burrowers! Scream with me "obligate burrowers" and rejoice :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Obligate burrowers, obligate burrowers! :)

If there isn't a 'burrow' has to be fake :bored:

All you have to witness is the majesty of a burrow in a 'triumph' of substrate :bored: :bored:

Yes, I can care for every kind of T's obviously but, obligate burrowers, obligate burrowers! Scream with me "obligate burrowers" and rejoice :angelic:
Gotta disagree with you there. Unless it sticks to the side like a late 80's windshield Garfield, I don't want to know! :kiss:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
12% Arboreal / 38% Terrestrial / 50% Fossorial

Terrestrial % is inflated by 10 L. parahybanas.
Arboreal % includes Asian arboreals that burrow.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it a case of putting your eggs in one basket? Or is is a case of jack of all trades, master of f-all?
I like having a mix of different types.

I currently have 5 arboreal / 8 terrestrial / 2 fossorial.

Arboreal
  • Avicularia avicularia x3
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei
  • Psalmopoeus irminia

Terrestrial
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata
  • Brachypelma emilia
  • Bumba cabocla
  • Davus pentaloris
  • Grammostola pulchra x2
  • Neoholothele incei
  • Phormictopus sp. "south Hispaniola"

Fossorial
  • Augacephalus ezendami
  • Ceratogyrus marshalli (not really an obligate burrower, but she's been a pet hole since I got her over a year ago)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
All my collection are terrestrials, I have limited space and since I moved in with my parents, I have a limit. Because of that, I keep the species that really interest me, which are a few genera.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
While I am trying to get more arboreals, I have had horrible luck with Avics and C. versicolor all turning out male (8 to be exact). I am trying to mix it up. Haven't counted it out yet but the ratio stands as follows:

Arboreal:

P. cambridgei

Terrestrial:

B. schroederi
B. hamorii
Nicaraguan B. albopilosum
Honduran B. albopilosum
B. emilia
B. sabulosum
H. orellani
H. chilensis
P. atrichromatus
P. cancerides
P. platyomma
A. geniculata
A. moderatum
A. hentzi
G. pulchripes
G. grossa
E. campestratus
A. chalcodes 'New River'
G. porteri
P. scrofa
H. dictator (could be listed under fossorial as she does spend a lot of time burrowed)
H. pulchripes (easily could be listed under fossorial, mine prefer their burrows)

Fossorial:

I. mira
E. pachypus
P. muticus

I am more familiar with terrestrials and fossorials, however being a jack of all trades is my goal.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
9/24/9

I have more terrestrials because that is what I started with and was a bit leery of arboreals in the beginning, but after getting my first arboreal I'm finding that I actually like them better, most of my last additions have been arboreal.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
19 arboreal
34 terrestrial (plus 8 more coming tomorrow)
6 fossorial (plus 3 more coming tomorrow)

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Every T we get in the hobby here is fossorial. I think that sums it up as far as what I keep

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
1/6/1?
My A.seemani seems to have no interest in burrowing at all, so I guess really I'm 1/7/0.
Also, how to class a GBB sling. Mine is definitely more arboreal than terrestrial.