Species with non lethal venom and thick tail?

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm looking to get in to scorpions and was thinking for a good species. Paravaejovis spinigerus is my current favourite, but I was wondering if there were other ones that had even thicker tail (purely for looks), and weren't able to kill you.

I had a Hadrurus arizonensis years back. Had nothing bad to say of it either, but now looking for something different. Appreciate it if someone helped here a little 👍

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I'm shamefacedly deleting my unhelpful jokes about a number of celebrities that come to mind (Kim Kardashian, Lil' Kim, Kimbo Slice, Kim Jong-un, can't go wrong with some type of Kim, etc.), with apologies for an incorrigible personality.

Parabuthus transvaalicus and P. villosus have particularly magnificent tails. Unfortunately, their venom is pretty bad. I was going to say that it can't kill you if you don't let it sting you, though these species are some that can spray venom a fair distance too.

Scorpion safety isn't too difficult, much easier than with some hot reptiles. Get life insurance if you have dependents. Be careful. Good luck 👍

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I'm looking to get in to scorpions and was thinking for a good species. Paravaejovis spinigerus is my current favourite, but I was wondering if there were other ones that had even thicker tail (purely for looks), and weren't able to kill you.

I had a Hadrurus arizonensis years back. Had nothing bad to say of it either, but now looking for something
different. Appreciate it if someone helped here a little 👍
You could try something from the Nebo family.

Nebo whitei for example.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Rule #3298.31 Do not wear flip flops near angry displaced 8 legged tire biters.
1670409210246.png

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I think it will be quite difficult to find a species that matches that criteria.

The Snark

Old Timer
I could recommend a couple of non lethal fat bottom girls if that helps.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Try a pillar tail scorpion. Or try a nonlethal ANDROCTONUS of some sort. Gonetti or amoreuxi aren't that bad. The amoreuxi has a low ld50 but doesn't inject much venom so is mostly harmless. If you can find one, there's also the oman thick tailed scorpion

Also, the parabathus species aren't too bad. They're far less venomous than androctonus. Less than one percent mortality rate. I had a p. Transvaalicus years back and I handled it a lot and it never stunge, which tells me they're not too agro

Last edited by a moderator:

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looking at some LD50 table I found somewhere, I think I'm leaning towards Parabuthus transvaalicus and/or Hottentotta judaicus. They look nice and aren't the worst of the worst. That Androctonus gonetti looks also cool, but I couldn't find a venom rating for it anywhere. Androctonus bicolor might work too, but it might be a bit too hot (based on that LD50 table).

Johnn

Arachnoknight
The ANDROCTONUS bicolor is rated at 1.21 mg/kg iv but it can range to a much lower ld50 of .31 mg/kg. I have one and am getting more. I have been stung by a baby and it hurt pretty bad but I've never been stung b6 an adult or subadult. Anyways my point being, these guys venom ranges in potency, possibly due to the heat they're in. They can be nasty

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You should not be handling it so technically you should have zero issues with any species, regardless if it is considered "hot" or not.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should not be handling it so technically you should have zero issues with any species, regardless if it is considered "hot" or not.
I have no intention to ever touch it. But I just want to be on the safe side.

The Snark

Old Timer
I have no intention to ever touch it. But I just want to be on the safe side.
Two takes that are both valid.
I'm reminded of a 14 year old me volunteering at the nature center. I had to get in the containments with the rattlesnakes. The protocols were a poster on the wall along with a hand made sign, "IF YOU GET BIT, YOU SCREWED UP". Didn't rigidly follow the procedures to the letter.
A greater hazard than the venom toxicity is complacency. Being too casual. Not following the proper procedures and taking every precaution each and every time by the book. Ask Steve Irwin about that. Rattler, stingray, or scorp. A strike zone is a strike zone. If it isn't known and respected you have no business dealing with or being around that animal.

And keep in mind, the venom is only one hazard and a minor one. Most sting deaths aren't caused by venom potency but it and anaphylactic shock combined. Bee and wasp stings, the number 1 killers. Venom not considered lethal.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
greater hazard than the venom toxicity is complacency. Being too casual
This.

It sounds like @heering80 is doing it right though. It's the same reason I prefer not to own a Phoneutria. I would have zero intention to ever touch it but the remote chance of some kind of accident is something I'd rather not lose sleep over.

Unfortunately places like youtube are overrun with yahoos that threaten our hobby with their stupid antics.

The Snark

Old Timer
Unfortunately places like youtube are overrun with yahoos that threaten our hobby with their stupid antics.
While those antics can be, often are downright sickening to responsible keepers there are basics that many people, even the most cautious and vigilant, that can easily be overlooked.
A no brainer is no two dangerous animals may potentially come into contact with a human at the same time without a back up person.
A more insidious hazard is simply keeping the animal in sight. Fixating on the animal can divert your attention from where it can go and how fast. Anyone who has kept large huntsman for an extended period of time knows that screw up well.
And of course there is the pitfall of knowing what the animal can do instead of thinking worst case scenario - what it will do given a perfect storm opportunity.
It boils down to keeping a hot is like playing poker with the deck stacked against you.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
While those antics can be, often are downright sickening to responsible keepers there are basics that many people, even the most cautious and vigilant, that can easily be overlooked.
A no brainer is no two dangerous animals may potentially come into contact with a human at the same time without a back up person.
A more insidious hazard is simply keeping the animal in sight. Fixating on the animal can divert your attention from where it can go and how fast. Anyone who has kept large huntsman for an extended period of time knows that screw up well.
And of course there is the pitfall of knowing what the animal can do instead of thinking worst case scenario - what it will do given a perfect storm opportunity.
It boils down to keeping a hot is like playing poker with the deck stacked against you.
I don't mind hot scorpions because they can't climb glass (usually) but Phoneutria is where I draw the line.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Hot scorpions are awesome. Life is too short to worry about this and that but if you do, there are nonhot scorps out there to buy. But for your info, I've held and been stung by hots repeatedly with no serious effects. Doesn't mean that would be your experience but my belief is that most healthy adults aren't affected too bad. Just tge tingles and numb arms and some pain. But I wish you luck on your endeavor and don't accept you'll be fine just because ive been. Every body is different.

The Snark

Old Timer
I don't mind hot scorpions because they can't climb glass (usually) but Phoneutria is where I draw the line.
For myself, my macho, bluster and bravado fell by the wayside a few minutes after the bee sting pain had subsided and a tell tale sign of anaphylaxis, restriction when swallowing and tightness in the upper chest developed. Then panic as I knew there was no way I could get intervention fast enough if it grew worse. The physicians words coming back to me in a serious reality check when he explained the antivenin effects. "There is a good chance you will become sensitized and develop an allergic reaction to ants, bees and other animals that deliver a hemotoxin."
Decades later here in Thailand I again noticed the tell tale signs after a mouthful of a local delicacy. It contained ant eggs. That was all it took to trigger the reaction.

Last edited: