Species reccomendations

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, i will be adding to the collection soon, i already have an a.geniculata and a b.smithi. I will for sure be getting a a.seemani and an emperor scorpian....but those combined dont even equal what im paying for overnight shipping so i need to make it more worth my while. I decided against a L.parahybana due to the fact i only have access to slings and that a 10 inch spider would make me too nervous. So id like anyone's help with suggestions of 1 or 2 spiders (terrestrial or semi aboreal) that would be excellept picks and arnt too too expensive. I'd also prefer something that doesnt like to stay in its burrow 24/7 and nothing overly aggressive. I am picky! but i know there are some out there who meet the criteria!

Thanks,

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, you sound sort of like me in what you like (doesn't burrow, not too aggressive, doesn't cost as much as a new video card), although if a 10" Salmon Pink makes you nervous, what about the 9" Giant White Knee you'll have? Does the 1" really make that much difference to you? ;)

At any rate, here are some nice Ts that you might consider:
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Brachypelma emilia
Cyclosternum fasciatum
Grammostola aureostriata
Grammostola pulchra

They're all colorful, relatively docile, under 10", and relatively inexpensive.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Chromatopelma cyanopubescens(greenbottle blue) is a T with really beautiful coloration and a decent disposition that is good for displays.

-V

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I thought about the greenbottle, but I decided to list the species that I've found really impress me persnally. I think that C. cyanopubescens is a T best for impressing non-T people. I got one but I'll never get another one after this one dies. Colorful, yes. Aesthetic, hell no. It's got one of the most un-T like bodies even compared to old worlders and the colors truly are garish. They're inexpensive enough that they're worth a try as a T, but just not my thing.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The greenbottlt blue is a good choice cause they change color with every molt while young, real cool spider.

The G. pulchia is also a great spider. Jet black and super sweet..

To many to choose from. :? :? . That why people have so many.:D

E.T

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the suggestions, CM you make a good point, my genic will be 9 inches in a year or less yikes! I think more than size i did not want a sling because i dont want to deal with males. I think ill go for a g.pulchra if i dont have to take out a mortgage for a nice one!

Mark

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

G.pulchra should be nice in just about every way possible. They look velvet.

-V

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
may I also recommend the E campestratus and the G areostriatum? They are hardy, terrestrial, docile, and don't seem to hide much (as they get older anyway)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I forgot to mention i am getting the chaco golden knee as soon as Chris' Creepy Crawlies can get them in. I highly reccomend him by the way if your in canada and need some inverts. If i remember correctly skin head dave bought from him before and had similar positive experiences. I think i might like the g.pulchra at like 2 inches or so so i can try to handle it...im to scared to handle my redknee even!

Mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I handled my adult G pulchra the other day for the first time, and wish I had not. Oh man....that is the itchiest T I have! WHY do I have to be sensitive to all the ones that are easiest to handle?!
Good for you on the Chaco, they are lovely!
Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain mine is a male (of course!)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah i think im making some good choices for my likings. I enjoy the fact that a chaco is a "gentle giant" and gets big and looks good, basically everything i want without being aggressive!

Mark