Species in Carlsbad CA?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
The corporate headquarters of the No Fear apparel company is there, but I'm sure you can still find plenty of spineless cowards just walking around on the street.
There, I have answered your question and told you a joke.
Out of gratitude, you will obviously now feel compelled to send to me any of the following Aphonopelma species you might collect, which include, but may not be limited to:
A. iodius
A. steindachneri
A. eutylenum

Overnight shipping will be appreciated. Good luck on your mission!

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’ve found several species of the velvet ants (mutillidae) out there. The red ones. And then the black/white long haired ones. Very cool species to find. Make cool pets, actively feed like dubias do. However, they are called cow killers for a reason.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here are some examples for the county (San Diego) using the BugGuide Advanced Search tool. You can change the taxon to whatever group you're interested in. There's loads of good stuff out there this time of year. Someone just posted a pic of Dracotettix monstrosus in BugGuide. That's an awesome California endemic grasshopper.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Here are some examples for the county (San Diego) using the BugGuide Advanced Search tool. You can change the taxon to whatever group you're interested in. There's loads of good stuff out there this time of year. Someone just posted a pic of Dracotettix monstrosus in BugGuide. That's an awesome California endemic grasshopper.

woah that is a cool grasshopper

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Mission Trails, PQ Canyon and Poway, Ramona, RB all have wild Ts. (Eutylenum, Steindachneri and Iodius) I am sure you could find them closer to Carlsbad except your whole inland area was mowed for development. best bet would be Los Monos Canyon near Agua Hedonia Creek.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The corporate headquarters of the No Fear apparel company is there, but I'm sure you can still find plenty of spineless cowards just walking around on the street.
There, I have answered your question and told you a joke.
Out of gratitude, you will obviously now feel compelled to send to me any of the following Aphonopelma species you might collect, which include, but may not be limited to:
A. iodius
A. steindachneri
A. eutylenum

Overnight shipping will be appreciated. Good luck on your mission!
I have done work for No Fear many years ago. As far as A Steindachneri, if I can get my breeding project moving I'll let you know

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
I’ve found several species of the velvet ants (mutillidae) out there. The red ones. And then the black/white long haired ones. Very cool species to find. Make cool pets, actively feed like dubias do. However, they are called cow killers for a reason.
Dasymutilla klugii, sackenii, gloriosa, aureola, californica? Theres also bound to be many smaller genera of velvet ants there, like Timulla or maybe even Hoplomutilla(I don't know my mutillidae distribution, sadly), many of them with vibrant patterning and less painful stings. Theres also some other flightless terrestrial wasps that can be fun to keep, like chyphotidae.