Species ID please

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I see these guys all over the place, I've heard them called wolf spiders, and I've heard them called grass spiders. Can anyone help with a scientific name?

Attachments

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I don't know the species, but I believe that is in the genus Agelenopsis a grass spider. There are subtle differences between grass spiders, wolf spiders, and fishing spiders.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
On any given moment, it's possible that my husband and I are arguing about which of the three just startled us by showing up in the laundry.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A quick and dirty rule of thumb. You can always tell a lyco at a glance from the eyes. That rearwards facing pair is a dead giveaway. Otherwise it really helps to have a lot of contact with a genus / species to tell without going the anatomy route.

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In addition to the eyes, the spinnerets can help to distinguish between Lycosidae (wolf spiders) and Agelenidae (funnel weavers such as grass spiders). Long spinnerets (as yours has) are more consistent with Agelenopsis (grass spiders) or some other Agelenidae. Wolf spiders have less prominent spinnerets.