Species ID Help - Alabama Millipede

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was away in Alabama this past weekend and saw a large number of these millipedes. They did not unfurl for a measurement, but coiled were roughly the diameter of a nickle to a quarter, though smaller individuals were also present. I thought they were a very attractive species and would consider propogating them should I move down there, but I'd love to know what they are first. If it helps: they were found in the Birmingham area in a hardwood forest.

As you can see, they have a chocolate colored body, dark pinkish legs, and a lighter stripe of brown down their back. Any ideas? I tried bug guide but must have been looking in the wrong section.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I, too stare at many pix of millipedes daily but don't recall anything with those dorsal markings. Neat find. Good luck with an ID!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm, don't know and I'm surprised the milli people have said anything. I have some black ones I'm thinking about breeding too, but I'd be more interested in trying it if I thought people would want some of them. How long was the biggest adult you found?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hard to tell because they were coiled. I'm guessing 2-2.5"? Not huge, but I don't know if I found full grown adults since they were variable sizes. Very pretty species at any rate; I'd love to get an ID so I can see if there IS info out there on adult size.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Where in Birmingham did you find these? I live here and would like to try and find some of these. I could also take some to the Natural History museum and see if they could ID them along with a crab spider that I recently found.

spmesser

Arachnopeon
I was away in Alabama this past weekend and saw a large number of these millipedes. They did not unfurl for a measurement, but coiled were roughly the diameter of a nickle to a quarter, though smaller individuals were also present. I thought they were a very attractive species and would consider propogating them should I move down there, but I'd love to know what they are first. If it helps: they were found in the Birmingham area in a hardwood forest.

As you can see, they have a chocolate colored body, dark pinkish legs, and a lighter stripe of brown down their back. Any ideas? I tried bug guide but must have been looking in the wrong section.
I apologize but I don’t see any photos with this