species existing only in captivity?

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been doing a pile of reading since my new pokie got here, and I came across a couple mentions that the natural habitat of some pokie sp. are in serious danger and that within as little as a decade they could exist only in captivity. Is ther any truth to this? I can see it being a definite possibility, as well as for other species, which brings me to the question of what other species are facing this sort of situation at the moment? and, are there any species already found strictly in captivity?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have read that H.lividum is maybe one that might fall into this category..though i think because of how elusive many species of t's are, i could be wrong in assuming one or a few even fall into this category..

there is a sanctuary in India that houses a pokie we might never see in captivity though..soo there could be a few out there

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have read that H.lividum is maybe one that might fall into this category..though i think because of how elusive many species of t's are, i could be wrong in assuming one or a few even fall into this category..

there is a sanctuary in India that houses a pokie we might never see in captivity though..soo there could be a few out there
Not h. lividum it is doing fine. It survives well in the cracks and holes in local cities.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hanumavillasumica is indeed in the european hobby. however, there are more spectacular looking pricey pokies ;)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
man what don't you Europeans have!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not European, but I am willing to guess they don't have many of our (residents of the USA) Aphonopelma species!!!! I would like to see a European pay the equivalent of 300 US dollars for a brown or "blonde" smallish tarantula!

- Lonnie

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Infact we do have Aphonopelma species in Europe. Just not in the same quantities as you guys do :)

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poecilotheria smithi is a species that may soon be extinct in the wild. They are found in a small area that is currently being turned into market gardens or houses...

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im guessing at some point alot of species will be extinct in the wild.captive breeding is the future of our hobby and some of these spiders existance

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just thinking that if there's any species nearing extinction in the wild that perhaps they are something I should get into. It'd be nice to know I'm helping keep a species continue to live... {D