Species differentiation assistance please.

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I've always liked the Brachypelma Smithi, and I saw one for sale...or so I thought. The owner said it was not a smithi, but a Brachypelma Auratum. I had never heard of a "flame knee" before, and it looked exactly like a smithi...at least to my eye.

Is there any other difference in these two spiders besides the slight difference in coloration (i.e. temperament, etc, etc)?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always liked the Brachypelma Smithi, and I saw one for sale...or so I thought. The owner said it was not a smithi, but a Brachypelma Auratum. I had never heard of a "flame knee" before, and it looked exactly like a smithi...at least to my eye.

Is there any other difference in these two spiders besides the slight difference in coloration (i.e. temperament, etc, etc)?
Google it. There are very distinct differences.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Main differences are the patella's and carapace

And quite different in temperament :}

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How so? Are they super-aggressive compared to the smithi or something?
I wouldn't say aggressive, just slightly more defensive and flicky than most B.smithi although saying that the temperament is down to the individual tarantula in question. I can only comment from my experiences keeping both sp.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As with any species, you may end up with a "grumpy" individual but IME B. smithi and B. auratum are similar attitude-wise. Care requirements are the same also.

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the links, Royal.

The smithi looks beefier, and has a bit more color on the carapace...is that what I look for trying to distinguish between the two?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not the best pics for comparison, IMO, you should look at as many pics as possible and the differences will become very apparent.

The 'flames' on the auratum are much more defined and stand out starkly against a black background, with a cream colored band right at the tip.
The smithi has the 'flames' against a yellowish background that fades from the band back toward the femur. The 'flames' on the auratum always seem redder to me also but the smithi's may appear more orange because of the yellow backdrop.

Bill

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow that is a really bad picture of a B. smithi.

There is no confusing a B. auratum and a B. smithi

Smithi have red/orange stripes on several leg segments, auratum's only on the patella and it very must looks like a flame.

Auratum's tend to be a little more hyper, and "thinner" while the smithi will tend to get beefier.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B. auratum with darker carapace and 'solid flames'

different B. auratum with lighter carapace and 'striped flames'

B. smithi

Bill

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks for photos guys...I was wondering the same thing. Both are beautiful, but B. auratum looks 'crisper' to me overall...