Species Comparable to N. Icei (no urticating hairs) that dont web much?

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
Im looking for a species without urticating hairs. The Brazilian beauty dwarf and N Incei are the only ones that I could find but do you guys know of any other species comparable to them other than the arborials?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Dolichothele sp mineirum but they do web up some. What's wrong with webbing? They are spiders after all

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" (mis-sold in the hobby as Holothele sericea or Scopelobates sericeus)

131462232_4674197099260359_122351384444417106_n.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Are you sure Euthycaleus don't have urticating hairs? Ive read sources saying they do.
As far as I know they do not have any. Mine has never even attempted to kick them. I could be wrong, though.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
May I ask why you don’t want species with urticating hairs? Are you particularly sensitive or just being very cautious?

I just ask because I was quite frankly afraid of urticating hair when I first started. I have sensitive skin and saw the horror stories of people having welts for weeks after unintentionally coming into contact with urticating hair. I avoided your typical terrestrial new worlds for a long time because of it. But I did finally try a couple species and realized with some care it’s nothing to be super worried about. I still don’t keep species like Theraposa or lasiodora.

I’ve had no problems with Grammostola (rosea, porteri, pulchra) , Homoeomma, euathlus, Thrixopelma (skip ockerti), and Plesiopelma. They all have hair but rarely kick them…I’ve never been haired by these except by a rosea sling that I accidentally pinched it’s leg while rehousing and I had no symptoms at all from it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im looking for a species without urticating hairs. The Brazilian beauty dwarf and N Incei are the only ones that I could find but do you guys know of any other species comparable to them other than the arborials?
DEFINE comparable damn it

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
May I ask why you don’t want species with urticating hairs? Are you particularly sensitive or just being very cautious?

I just ask because I was quite frankly afraid of urticating hair when I first started. I have sensitive skin and saw the horror stories of people having welts for weeks after unintentionally coming into contact with urticating hair. I avoided your typical terrestrial new worlds for a long time because of it. But I did finally try a couple species and realized with some care it’s nothing to be super worried about. I still don’t keep species like Theraposa or lasiodora.

I’ve had no problems with Grammostola (rosea, porteri, pulchra) , Homoeomma, euathlus, Thrixopelma (skip ockerti), and Plesiopelma. They all have hair but rarely kick them…I’ve never been haired by these except by a rosea sling that I accidentally pinched it’s leg while rehousing and I had no symptoms at all from it.
Yes I am just being cautious. Don;t want to deal with the hairs at all. It will be my first T. I still never had one. XD. I have parrots and I dont want these hairs flying around.

Hi
by default all tarantulas lacking hairs are a bit more quick to bite as lack any other means of defence.The smaller tarantulas you mentioned are quite fast too even as slings(D diamantinensis in particular)
Another for you to consider is Holothele longipes.Those don't web much too
I have one female called Speed Demon. lol
It literally teleports arround.
How visible your tarantulas will be depends on how(where) you keep them too.
Suitable enclosures that provide security placed in low traffic area will yield much more visible tarantulas
Regards Konstantin

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Holothele longipes doesn’t have urticating hairs. They’re a similar size to N. incei and don’t web much. However they’re very fast and are trouble during rehousings

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I mean new world without urticating hairs that is generally docile.
Gotcha! Well there are no species that fit that definition really. Docile is something you RARELY find with Ts as I THINK you may know. There is one other species but you'd be hard pressed to find one I think.

Moroes

Arachnopeon

I've been looking for nearly a decade for my first spider pet. It seems crazy, but I'm in no rush. I've just recently gotten out of the crazy arachnophobia stage, to where I can look, and touch small garden spiders. I use to hyperventilate and have full blown anxiety attacks my entire life beforehand lol. Back on topic. I rather have an old world T, or a dwarf with no hairs, as my paranoia of them getting into my eyes somehow, or inhaling them scare me more than holding a reticulated python. I'm finally going to settle for either the N. Incei, BBB, or something that has no capability of making you go blind. I just fear that cleaning out a tank with a "normal" beginner species, will just be a matter of time, before I overlook 1 single hair, and it gets in my eye, or something. Hell, I might even get a huntsman spider.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've been looking for nearly a decade for my first spider pet. It seems crazy, but I'm in no rush. I've just recently gotten out of the crazy arachnophobia stage, to where I can look, and touch small garden spiders. I use to hyperventilate and have full blown anxiety attacks my entire life beforehand lol. Back on topic. I rather have an old world T, or a dwarf with no hairs, as my paranoia of them getting into my eyes somehow, or inhaling them scare me more than holding a reticulated python. I'm finally going to settle for either the N. Incei, BBB, or something that has no capability of making you go blind. I just fear that cleaning out a tank with a "normal" beginner species, will just be a matter of time, before I overlook 1 single hair, and it gets in my eye, or something. Hell, I might even get a huntsman spider.
The hairs aren’t bad just wear gloves 🧤.. or get nw without hairs.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
The hairs aren’t bad just wear gloves 🧤.. or get nw without hairs.
I'll look into if surgical gloves would be good, and then just toss them in a garbage bag. I feel like I'm going from arachnophobia to urticating hair phobia lol. Years ago, I could barely look at a picture of a spider, believe it or not lol. I have to admit, ruling out T's with hairs severely limits your choice of some amazing spiders. There are some beginner ones I really do like.

Last edited: