Species change

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are there any stickies or threads on current species name changes? It seems like every 6 months a genus is getting rearranged. It would be nice to have an old name, new name and possibly a picture to accurately identify. I've spent 6 years wondering what a true lampropelma violeceopes looks like!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Are there any stickies or threads on current species name changes? It seems like every 6 months a genus is getting rearranged. It would be nice to have an old name, new name and possibly a picture to accurately identify. I've spent 6 years wondering what a true lampropelma violeceopes looks like!
Let me dig through old pics an see if i have a pic still of my old female.
The females are very bright blue while mature males are much smaller and an olive green color

basin79

ArachnoGod
This was my adult female from years ago. Apologies about the pic quality. Phone cameras weren't great back then. Then this pic is of that pic on a TV.

basin79

ArachnoGod
How do you guys stay up to date? Is it true that b smithi is now annitha?
I don't. I just end up seeing a T I know the look of and realise the name doesn't "match" or I'll see the name of a T I've never heard of Google it and then realise it's such and such.

I bloody hope they haven't changed the Brachypelma Smithi.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I don't. I just end up seeing a T I know the look of and realise the name doesn't "match" or I'll see the name of a T I've never heard of Google it and then realise it's such and such.

I bloody hope they haven't changed the Brachypelma Smithi.
Me too but i think i remember hearing that they were changing it or something

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I guess Haplopelma reverted back to the original Cyriopagopus, but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. I know many others aren't either.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The nature of taxonomy is that is always changes. This is something people have battled for years. Just remember that taxonomy is a human invention. We seem to have this urge to categorize and name things, and can never agree on anything. With gene sequencing being so accessible these days, lots of taxonomy is going through major changes. Even more challenging is trying to teach it!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not sure what that last sentence means? (english is not my native language ;) )
The absolute bar stewards?

@username 1331 You're welcome :)
It's a polite way of calling them an unpleasant name. Although the original meaning used in the correct context isn't swearing at all. A person born who's parents aren't married.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's a polite way of calling them an unpleasant name. Although the original meaning used in the correct context isn't swearing at all. A person born who's parents aren't married.
That might come in handy some day :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is perfect. Thank you Andrea! I'm very skeptical about believing these changes without a reliable source.
Obviously we are not to adopt any name changes until the formal publication comes out, but I'd definitely call Jose (@Exoskeleton Invertebrates) a reliable source. He personally knows the author of the publication that will be coming out shortly. It has apparently already been accepted and is waiting to be published.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
This was my adult female from years ago. Apologies about the pic quality. Phone cameras weren't great back then. Then this pic is of that pic on a TV.

Lol i remember when cell phones first started getting cameras. My little kid mind was blown by the technology.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The best way to stay up to date on taxonomic changes is to use the World Spider Catalog at http://wsc.nmbe.ch/

Another way would be to use Google Scholar use the search term "theraphosidae", sort by date, then select a year you want to see. Using this method would list all academic articles concerning tarantulas including taxonomy.

Also worth noting there isn't one best way to keep up to date nor is there a way too know of published changes as soon as it happens.

The World Spider Catalog features the old name, new name, and a PDF of the published paper to download and read. Use the PDF to use as a means to make an identification (when applicable). I urge you to get away from the mindset that all tarantulas are able to be identified from a picture. Sometimes you will be looking at pictures of misidentified tarantulas to compare with your own and get the wrong result.