Species and season

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have made some observations that I find quite interesting if nothing else... certain genus of spiders seem to molt around the same time of year... even when they are from different areas.

November was the month for all of my Grammastola species to molt. (9 rosea and 1 aureostriata)

In December all of my Avicularia molted. (1 versicolor and 3 avic)

January seems to be my Aphonopelma month (2 Hentzi, 2 seemani and 1 moderatum)

Has anyone else noticed these trends or am I just in a coincidance?

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know,but I can say that my brachypelmas all different - emilia,albo,boehmi,smithi all moulted in a 2 week period just before and after christmas.
Chid

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Interesting. My B. albo. molted around then too, and I'm expecting my smithi to follow suit RSN.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Smithi molted within a day if not the same day it did last year.

Mark

T

Tarantula

How strange. one of my avics molted in December and my G rosea molted in Novermber. maybe you are on to something. It is probably just a coincidence though.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This seems to be shaping up to be more than a coincidence... we have a lot of people coming out and saying very similar stories here.

This is kinda neat!

T

Tarantula

Well hopefulla my A seemani will molt soon then. She isnt even in premolt so I dont see that happening.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Mine all seem to molt whenever it will piss me off the most. Such as:

When I am out of town.
When I have just fed them.
When I haven't seen them in weeks, and finally go to dig them up.

Bill

T

Tarantula

Mine molt often because they are in a super warm room and I feed them a lot. So I dunno of you can really make calls about them molting in patterns by season or anything like that because even though my experience recently was similar it really depends on feeding and heating and other factors as well.