Spare 80 gallon

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Shiitake tank . Take hard wood logs , seed them with readily available plugs , and stand them on end in the tank . Keep and eye on the humidity and then harvest of those delicious little fungi . I have a forty gallon Exo terra breeder tank that is about to become my next mushroom project . It's a cool diversion from the usual "pet project" .
This. Do this. If you want to continue with the invert theme, you might be able to put in beetles or something. I know nothing of harvesting mushrooms, but I love this idea.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If I do decide to go communal some day I'll most likely do a scorpion setup
That was going to be my vote - especially for someone who has never done it before. I think that scorpion communes do much better, on a whole, than tarantula ones.
I would get two, or two pairs of, adults and let them fill the tank with families of little scorplings! I think that would be awesome.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Shiitake tank . Take hard wood logs , seed them with readily available plugs , and stand them on end in the tank . Keep and eye on the humidity and then harvest of those delicious little fungi . I have a forty gallon Exo terra breeder tank that is about to become my next mushroom project . It's a cool diversion from the usual "pet project" .
This. Do this. If you want to continue with the invert theme, you might be able to put in beetles or something. I know nothing of harvesting mushrooms, but I love this idea.
Hmm I'm digging this, I've never tried growing shrooms though, I've heard it's really tough.I wonder if there's a species of t or scorpion that would do well in there...high humidity and low webbing would be needed...maybe I can find a scorpion that enjoys that much humidity and won't be harmed by spores

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I was doing a communal in such a large tank, there's no doubt it would be N. incei or M. balfouri. A single N. incei will use different levels w/in the same setup.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Haha, Mom and Pop did this one year using some 4-6 inch diameter oak logs about 2-4 foot long. They have a project at NC State University every year where they will seed 2-4 logs per person really cheap. They just stacked their's in a log cabin fire lay style after putting out some plastic to keep the grass down in the edge of the woods for shade. They watered them according to the schedule they got with the program which allowed the logs to dry out in between waterings. Turned out pretty decent if you're into the fungi.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Haha, Mom and Pop did this one year using some 4-6 inch diameter oak logs about 2-4 foot long. They have a project at NC State University every year where they will seed 2-4 logs per person really cheap. They just stacked their's in a log cabin fire lay style after putting out some plastic to keep the grass down in the edge of the woods for shade. They watered them according to the schedule they got with the program which allowed the logs to dry out in between waterings. Turned out pretty decent if you're into the fungi.
Who doesn't love fungi? Eat them raw or throw em in a saucepan with some butter. Yum yum :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My dad got a 'mushroom kit' one year for Christmas and it is pretty cool. Dead easy to do. I've seen them for sale and they are usually very expensive. Personally, I'm more about eating them than growing them, but it is still pretty cool that they grow without soil and everything.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
You just haven't had them on a nice medium rare burger...with bacon...dripping Swiss cheese...

Aww man now I'm hungry
There's also some pretty tasty wild varieties of mushrooms out there. Many flavors to experience.
Just gotta buy from a farmers market or do your homework before picking wild and consuming.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
There's also some pretty tasty wild varieties of mushrooms out there. Many flavors to experience.
Just gotta buy from a farmers market or do your homework before picking wild and consuming.
Haha yeah, don't want any poisonous or psilocybin mushrooms lol!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Haha yeah, don't want any poisonous or psilocybin mushrooms lol!
Pcilocybin has been on the menu before but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. My body my choice but what someone else may do is up to them. I would recomend in moderation should anyone decide so.

Who wants to eat dirt?:vomit: That's exactly what they all taste like to me. :vomit::vomit::vomit:
You need some chanterelles :smug:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Who doesn't love fungi? Eat them raw or throw em in a saucepan with some butter. Yum yum :)
Me. :p

Naa, I'll eat them some things but I tend to be picky depending on what it's in.

Since they grow in hard wood they tend not to get that earthy taste that compost grown 'shrooms get .
We have done the button mushrooms too. Kept them in the basement in wax-lined boxes. They didn't have a dirt taste. They are pretty good stuffed with cream cheese chives and bacon. Lightly broiled after being brushed over with melted real butter. I normally don't like fungi due to the rubbery texture they have if cooked heavily in some dishes.

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I came in late to this thread. And while I love the mushroom idea. You know my I'm going to say M.balfouri communal. It's a non stop source of interesting behavior and rather entertaining. I've done some separating from my colony lately and it's the easiest captures I've ever done. They are so calm in the colony. I have been feeding and separating at the same time. It makes capturing them super easy. I've removed about 38 so far. My colony is pretty large with mom in there too. Ooo by the by mom just came out freshly molted and there are still around 40 or so 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in slings/ juves in there. I have some awesome video to post soon. But for now here's a few pics

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So I came in late to this thread. And while I love the mushroom idea. You know my I'm going to say M.balfouri communal. It's a non stop source of interesting behavior and rather entertaining. I've done some separating from my colony lately and it's the easiest captures I've ever done. They are so calm in the colony. I have been feeding and separating at the same time. It makes capturing them super easy. I've removed about 38 so far. My colony is pretty large with mom in there too. Ooo by the by mom just came out freshly molted and there are still around 40 or so 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in slings/ juves in there. I have some awesome video to post soon. But for now here's a few pics
Very nice. My smaller communal enclosures are fun, but I can imagine what a 70+ colony would be like. What do you keep them in? I can't wait for the video. :)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Very nice. My smaller communal enclosures are fun, but I can imagine what a 70+ colony would be like. What do you keep them in? I can't wait for the video. :)
So for a communal you breed, then let them hatch out and live in the same habitat with mom? I assume you could buy three balfouris and stick them all in the same enclosure and have it turn out well.