Sp.2 spiderling dying

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
Hi all
Hoping people can give me advice. I have two slings; a Black Presley (4cm) and a sp.2 (3cm) and the sp.2 looks like he's on his last legs. The Black Presley has thrived since I got it - eating everything I give it but the sp.2 two has never looked that good. It doesn't eat half what the Presley does, hasn't webbed and moves slowly. I've had them for a month. It's abdomen is still full looking, the container is moist and I squish the crickets for it. Now it's curling.. Anything I can do?
I have a juvenile and an adult who are happy so I know about T general care.

Thanks in advance

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hi all
Hoping people can give me advice. I have two slings; a Black Presley (4cm) and a sp.2 (3cm) and the sp.2 looks like he's on his last legs. The Black Presley has thrived since I got it - eating everything I give it but the sp.2 two has never looked that good. It doesn't eat half what the Presley does, hasn't webbed and moves slowly. I've had them for a month. Now it's curling.. Anything I can do?
I have a juvenile and an adult who are happy so I know about T general care.

Thanks in advance
"General T care" kind of goes out the window when dealing with slings not to mention seperate geographic local tarantula. slings require a different set of conditions than a juvie or adult, and you can't treat a Brachypelma like you would a poec.

Black presley is a common name? just thought I'd let you know most people on the forums prefer latin.

"Sp.2" ??? do you not know the species? if not then there's literally nothing that can be said to help. anything is wild speculation. do you have any clue on the genus?

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have never heard of either of those common names. What are the scientific names of the species you own? Cannot help without knowing the species.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Op is from Australia so phlogius perhaps..

Never raised them so I can't help sorry..

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
I'm in Australia.. pretty sure the Black Presley is phlogius and the sp2 is selenotypus. Sorry I don't know the latin names of the slings - the adults are both phlogius crassipes :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'm in Australia.. pretty sure the Black Presley is phlogius and the sp2 is selenotypus. Sorry I don't know the latin names of the slings - the adults are both phlogius crassipes :)
Looks right to me! now the sp.2 makes sense, I thought you were using it as a general "spider no. 2" kind of thing.

Personally I haven't kept either genus, so I'm no use but hopefully someone out there has and can.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The "Black Presely" is a Phlogius species I believe, and the other I'm not sure

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've only kept Phlogius sp. "Black", but the care should extend to what you have.

You said the enclosure is moist. How moist? This isn't an arid species, but it's not humid either. Overfilling the water dish about once per week should suffice. For the sluggish one, are you sure that it's not a mature male?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've only kept Phlogius sp. "Black", but the care should extend to what you have.

You said the enclosure is moist. How moist? This isn't an arid species, but it's not humid either. Overfilling the water dish about once per week should suffice. For the sluggish one, are you sure that it's not a mature male?
Spiderlings. Prolly not mature male.

Hope sling will survive, OP. Never kept this type before so no advice to offer.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Spiderlings. Prolly not mature male.

Hope sling will survive, OP. Never kept this type before so no advice to offer.
Oh, okay, I was confused about that part. The wording threw me off. Sounds more like dehydration, then. Does it have a water dish?

Louispyo

Arachnopeon
Phlogius sp. Black and Selenotypus sp.2, they're both Australian species. I find that Phlogius tend to prefer different humidity level and environment compared to Selenotypus being a bit more "arid" (Although it's good to note that there are some Selenotypus sp that live in somewhat humid environment even when known to be an "arid" species, it's too broad to label the whole genus). For the Selenotypus sp.2, it just may have been the case of humidity level?