Sow/Pillbugs

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read in Tarantulas and Other Arachnids that sowbugs or pillbug if added to the enclosure can help keep it free of fungi. Does anyone do this, and if so how well does it work.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have read the same things but I have never put them in a tank to see if it works. If someone knows if its worth it or not please post!

But wait dont then need it kinda moist? Most of my tanks are dry so they might not like it to much. :confused:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have successfully done this in the past. In Arid/dry setups it will not work because yes they do need moisture. Without moisture they will die fairly fast. So Grammostolaspp., Brachypelma spp.(I'm talking hobby wise, I know some species are found in rainforests where it's rather moist), and other species with the same care requirements are out.

Adult Ts will leave them be unless they are seeking a little snack or something. If you really have a bad habit of leaving prey remains in your tanks, get some.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep them in all my more moist set ups. They really do help keep a tank clean. They also compete with scavenger mites for food which keeps their numbers in check