hills around Lake Isabella

Batrachoseps sp.

Ensatina eschscholtzii platensis

Kern River

something in Opiliones

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Wondered where the heck you were until I saw the Kern.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Amazing breadth of habitats in such a relatively small area. I want to go back.

Tylobolus sp. w/ Californiulus yosemitensis

Uroctones mordax

Uh, I don't know scorpions very well...any ideas?

Calisoga male? Seems a little far from home.

Pepsis sp.?

Asbolus sp.

another mystery (to me)

Loxosceles deserta

more Blattodea...Arenivaga(thanks, ErinM31 & myrmecophile)

ID corrections welcome...

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Amazing breadth of habitats in such a relatively small area. I want to go back.

Tylobolus sp. w/ Californiulus yosemitensis

Uroctones mordax

Uh, I don't know scorpions very well...any ideas?

Calisoga male? Seems a little far from home.

Pepsis sp.?

Asbolus sp.

another mystery (to me)

Loxosceles deserta

more Blattodea

ID corrections welcome...
Awesome photos! :D

You didn't happen to collect the Californiulus yosemitensis did you? *puppy eyes* :shy:

Might that last photo be an Arenivaga species?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Awesome photos! :D

You didn't happen to collect the Californiulus yosemitensis did you? *puppy eyes* :shy:

Might that last photo be an Arenivaga species?
Thank you! We did but the few collected are in the capable hands of one of the other gentlemen ;) I was surprised to see them this far south, probably the southernmost tip of their range. That would explain why we found so few in relation to other animals that share their habitat.

The Kern is looking a little parched, the last roaches should be Arenivaga.
Yes, thank you, it may have been mentioned when we were in the field and quickly forgotten. I've seen females before but the male was a surprise.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures sir! Hopefully someone chimes in on the spider at some point, I would be interested it know what he is.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Fantastic, wasn't it? The closest I could come up with was, surprisingly, Calisoga, but not too sure of it. He looks well worn.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did just compare to Calisoga pics on Bug Guide and it does look pretty close. Has visible claws and many of the same spines. Although there were very few records from this far inland, and only quite a distance north. Maybe I will try to dig up some literature on their range.

Also, what is that little hairy guy just in front of the roach on a stick in the first roach pic? Just noticed it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

^ This is a female Kochius hirsuticauda, formerly in the genus Vaejovis (which is now paravaejovis) widespread throughout talus slopes in the colorado, sonoran, mojave, and great basin deserts. Almost always occurs alongside Smeringurus vachoni.

^ This is a Serradigitus species, probably joshuaensis- another widespread species which also tends to occur wherever Kochius hirsuticauda is found.

^ Female Parcoblatta americana

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon
Oh man those are some great finds. Send some of those roaches my way! I'd like to find something neat in my home town.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
more Blattodea...Arenivaga(thanks, ErinM31 & myrmecophile)
Did you keep these guys by any chance? As @Lucanus95 suggested, there are a bunch of Arenivaga species in CA that we don't have in the hobby yet that we really want in culture, which is why we are really encouraging people in the SW US to be on the lookout for these guys.

We only have a handful of the 40+ species in culture currently, and most of those were collected by @Lucanus95 and Kyle at Roachcrossing.com this year, so any new additions to the hobby from that genus would be greatly appreciated. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Awesome photos. I wish I could go there.

Thank you for sharing these :D

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The Serradigitus, which I thought was juvenile, reproduced 4 whole offspring LOL.

Sorry, I don't recall what happened with the Arenivaga. If I kept them then they must have perished and they'd now be sitting in alcohol somewheres in my stash.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Sorry, I don't recall what happened with the Arenivaga. If I kept them then they must have perished and they'd now be sitting in alcohol somewheres in my stash.
Ah well, that's too bad. Thanks for replying! (And sorry it took me so long to do so!). :)