Southeast suburban spider safari

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been going out during warm nights (50F+) this winter and looking for local true spiders. This takes place around the Raleigh/Cary area of North Carolina.

So far I've found several species of wolf spiders, nursery web spider, large funnel web spiders and dolomedes.

Here are some pictures of a trip my daughter and I took last night.

The staging area (behind a distribution center near a large flood control lake).

The woods between the center and the lake.

One finds the spiders by looking for their glowing eyes in the headlamp light.

Rabidosa species of wolf spider found in grassy area at edge of woods. About 1.5" legspan. There is another, larger species I've found in the summer that is about 2" in legspan.

In the cup

Hogna georgicola burrow. These are hidden under the leaves and are found by spotting the spider's eyes glowing as it sits just outside the burrow. No way one could find these by day.

Excavated burrow with occupant

A shot of her ventral surface

Soil centipede uncovered while excavating burrow

Spiders were a little scarce due to the temperature.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like a fun time. yeah, some of those Lycosids can have deceptively bright eye shines for their size. Kind of like how you can't tell the size of a fish on your line by how much force it fights with...

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Got some more spider shots

Widows

Some colorful beetle grub

Pisuarina mira (2" leg span)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
padkison! Thank you dude! Those variolus pics tell me so much info ...I wish I could root around there myself!
All the pics are awsome. The beetle grub is crazy nice. :D