South Vietnam temperature data - common Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus silenus)

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Oh wait, so it isn't a constant 28°C-30°C?
Poor things are doomed to merely exist and not thrive in the wild...

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
A constant 28-30°C is unnecessary, but it does show that keeping them at room temperature (20-23°C) is lower than they would be exposed to in the wild most of the time. To me, this still shows that some supplemental heat is needed (or at least highly beneficial to more closely replicate their natural environment).

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will fully admit I notice a huge difference in activity in my AFS with the added side tank heater. Before he spent all his time in his burrow except occasionally at night. Now I'll see him roaming around at various times of the day, it's a nice change and worth the cost and electricity.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It sometimes really is an eye-opener to see a species behavior changing depending upon the temperature, only to go back and learn I could have known all about it I had only read the scientific literature regarding said species originally, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I will fully admit I notice a huge difference in activity in my AFS with the added side tank heater. Before he spent all his time in his burrow except occasionally at night. Now I'll see him roaming around at various times of the day, it's a nice change and worth the cost and electricity.
Certainly, it has long been noted that their activity level and visibility are significantly increased when the temperature is kept a few degrees higher than typical room temperature ranges. No surprises here.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

A constant 28-30°C is unnecessary, but it does show that keeping them at room temperature (20-23°C) is lower than they would be exposed to in the wild most of the time. To me, this still shows that some supplemental heat is needed (or at least highly beneficial to more closely replicate their natural environment).

24c-30c is an excellent measure to keep these species. That website features all ten provinces in Vietnam that H. silenus is found furthermore if you click on the province and scroll all the way down it features the min-max temps plus average of every month. These provinces don't have cold winters.

Southern Vietnam -> https://vietnamdiscovery.com/best-time-of-the-year-to-visit-vietnam/

Last edited: