South American centipede, "as long as a man's forearm"

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! Such a thick centipede species. When you have them outside do they ever run? If so, how fast and for how long?

They are real fast and leery acting until they hit around 9", ime. When they get big they can still move fast but they just don't do it as often, it takes more to scare them. With this only adult I have, I can put it in the grass and it will walk along real slow. As it's walking I can gently pick it up by the last half of it's body with my hand(don't recommend it!). It doesn't seem to pick up on it being touched by something else so much when it's moving, something like being preoccupied. But if it is sitting still, it reacts fast to being touched. If I tap it's body while it's walking, it will take off and start running, sometimes for several feet, just depends on how scared it is. btw I just re-read the description of gigantea and galapagoensis again, I just don't know what this thing is for sure. They have femoral spurs on at least 90% of the legs if not all of them, that's supposed to be characteristic of gigantea according to an science article. I might get around to taking some back yard vid of it.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are real fast and leery acting until they hit around 9", ime. When they get big they can still move fast but they just don't do it as often, it takes more to scare them. With this only adult I have, I can put it in the grass and it will walk along real slow. As it's walking I can gently pick it up by the last half of it's body with my hand(don't recommend it!). It doesn't seem to pick up on it being touched by something else so much when it's moving, something like being preoccupied. But if it is sitting still, it reacts fast to being touched. If I tap it's body while it's walking, it will take off and start running, sometimes for several feet, just depends on how scared it is. btw I just re-read the description of gigantea and galapagoensis again, I just don't know what this thing is for sure. They have femoral spurs on at least 90% of the legs if not all of them, that's supposed to be characteristic of gigantea according to an science article. I might get around to taking some back yard vid of it.
That's some great info. Thanks for sharing. I think it would be really cool to have a video. I am hoping it is gigantea! :) How many do you have left?