South Africa (Limpopo) baboon spiders, scorps, etc

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Earlier this week myself and a friend went to his farm in Northeastern South Africa, somewhere in the Limpopo province...

We found lots of Parabuthus transvaalicus, and even stumbled upon the burrow of an adult female Augacephalus junodi.

Pics showing scorpions in sunlight were momentary, we kept them shaded except for the brief moment to take the pictures.

Pics in order are :
1 - road to the farm
2 - I found a dung beetle :)
3 - found our first P. transvaalicus
4 - looks like it had just shed
5 - This one had babies!
6 - baboon spider burrow (look closely)
7&8 - The female with and without flash.
Also included is a video... it shows the baboon spider burrow we found, and also a bit of the dung beetle's behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/v/d0j0rD_DHHs&rel=1

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is awesome man. I was down in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, and S. Africa several years ago for a total solar eclipse that went over Zimbabwe. It was an amazing place and will be returning in 3 more years. We went of morning and evening safaries, but was not all into tarantulas then. Thank you for sharing these! :clap:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: nice! awesome pics,awesome place!,i'd love to be there collecting,so many awesome inverts,and i know over there you have the giant predatory ground beetles aswell:drool: thanks for sharing.

hunterfilly

Arachnopeon
Love the pics! Have always wanted to go to Africa and just look at scorps, T's and all the wild life!

Ricki123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:clap: nice! awesome pics,awesome place!,i'd love to be there collecting,so many awesome inverts,and i know over there you have the giant predatory ground beetles aswell:drool: thanks for sharing.
You would find it is illegal to collect from SA, but anyway....

I'M GOING TO SOUTH AFRICA :D :D :D :D :D :D
and exactly in the limpopo province, at a wildlife rehab centre!!!

Hoping to see lots of T's and other wildlife... lots and lots of pics will be taken!

No One

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
South africa is a really cool place.. I Live there :D. Iv'e found many a T and scorpion here, But It does suck that it is illegal to Catch and keep the indegenous Reptiles. arachnids here, without a permit.. And thats another storry trying to get a permit is next to impossible.. :(

Hey ICM, Is that ruan's farm you wen't to visit. And is that him in the Picture..