Sos help!!

Dora

Arachnopeon
My sling T.apophysis was in the right place to molt and now it has turn into normal position only the capace is out of the skin!What can I do to help??

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My sling T.apophysis was in the right place to molt and now it has turn into normal position only the capace is out of the skin!What can I do to help??
How long has she been molting?

It's usually best not to disturb a molting tarantula, especially if it's still early in the process, and there is some hope for a successful outcome.

Dora

Arachnopeon
I have no idea I knew that it was about to molt and I had it with full humidity and heat at about 26-27 degrees...I put some extra water...I assume that it is much hour at this stage because is walking normally:(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It is best to leave her alone. Helping/interfering with molting usually results in more damage. Can you take pictures of her?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It will drive me crazy for sure...Now it has returned backwards but it isn't moving at all...
It takes some time to molt. There is nothing you can do but wait. I know, that is hard. But you can't help a T molt. Leave it in peace and hope it will make it through.

Dora

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much...But I don't think there is any hope...I will let you know later what happened...

Dora

Arachnopeon
Miracles happen!Against all odds it changed normally!Should I put it on CPU just to be sure?Maybe for two-three days?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You should just leave it be. It can take hours for a T to molt and days to harden up afterwards. I would leave it alone for a week or so and let it recover. It is very vulnerable and anything you do to it or for it will only cause stress. T's have a much different time table than we do so everything is slow with them. Just wait it out and everything will be just fine. No need to rush things.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good news! Definitly NOT touch/move it. She is soft as mush now, so you'll damage her if you touch her. Just top off the waterdish, make sure the temp is comfortable and put her in a quiet spot.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It will drive me crazy for sure...Now it has returned backwards but it isn't moving at all...
I've had one of my Ts decide it wanted a better molting spot before. It turned over and moved a bit away and rolled beck over and molted. When they start molting just leave them be. There really is nothing you can do to help and often you'll cause more harm than good.

I'm glad to hear your T molted fine. Now let it harden up and rest.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thank you all for the replies I have so many Ts for many years an yet the stress about molting is something I can't deal with....
It happens so often for me if I stressed out each time I'd be a wreck a few times a week. :D

I've had a few molt on their sides and one molt upright and those worried me a bit but usually I just let nature work it out. :)

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know the feeling :)
When all goes according to textbook (so to speak, I know there isn't one) , I'm just curious. But if something goes different, than I have a hard time as well when a T is molting.

Dora

Arachnopeon
Yes exactly....And my big big worry is when everything is fine(temperature,humidity) and the molt is problematic...It is something I will never accept:anxious:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes exactly....And my big big worry is when everything is fine(temperature,humidity) and the molt is problematic...It is something I will never accept:anxious:
Sometimes that will happen no matter how much good we keep them. It's not fun when it occurs though.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Spiders are inherently fragile so you have to expect problems from time to time. As terrible as it is, it's just a fact of the hobby. The thing is, you can't let it get you worked up until the problems actually manifest. T's molt, it's what they do. Most of the time there won't be any problems at all, but every now again, something will happen. My advice, don't worry until there is something to worry about. Otherwise it takes all the fun out of the hobby.

Ran

Arachnoknight
I have a young adult female T. apophysis. Your substrate looks like there are puddles of water all throughout the photos...it could be too wet for it. It's tough to get their humidity correct and I still worry about mine. Without disturbing her as much as possible, fold a paper towel and soak up some of the water.

cold blood

Staff member
I have a young adult female T. apophysis. Your substrate looks like there are puddles of water all throughout the photos...it could be too wet for it. It's tough to get their humidity correct and I still worry about mine. Without disturbing her as much as possible, fold a paper towel and soak up some of the water.
It did look pretty wet.

It would be best for your Theraposa to stop measuring humidity and start just keeping the sub damp and pouring or sprinkling in water as it dries out.

Measuring humidity is a common newer keeper mistake ime. It over complicates something relatively simple and adds worry where none should exist.

Last edited:

Dora

Arachnopeon
I did it just to help the molt procedure I have removed the water now!