SOS for my Avic

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Last time I'm posting, just want to be sure 100 times over that there is nothing i can do.

Day before yesterday, happy T, ate 2 crickets, good stuff. moved into her new enclosure

Yesterday, enjoying her new enclosure, crawling all over the place examining everything.
starts soaking in water dish for a long time, very slow and lethargic for no reason, starts getting all 'crunchy' and curling up

now she is on her sub, curled up and it's breaking my heart. Should I put her in ICU since she was soaking in her dish (about 5 hours) should I leave her be? Is it possible she's doing a spontaneous molt?
20170108_092428.jpg
20170108_092428.jpg 20170108_094332.jpg
20170108_094348.jpg

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty sure she's molting. DON'T LAUGH AT ME. I'm sure everyone got nervous when their T first molted

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm pretty sure she's molting. DON'T LAUGH AT ME. I'm sure everyone got nervous when their T first molted
I would be worried if my Avicularia sp. would come down to molt on the substrate too, especially when she would molt upright. For future reference, it may be more convenient to keep all info or questions in one thread. That way, you don't have to type things over and over again and gives members a complete overview of the situation and can respond with more accuracy.
Keep us posted!

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I would be worried if my Avicularia sp. would come down to molt on the substrate too, especially when she would molt upright. For future reference, it may be more convenient to keep all info or questions in one thread. That way, you don't have to type things over and over again and gives members a complete overview of the situation and can respond with more accuracy.
Keep us posted!
Sorry! She's made me a nervous wreck this morning. I didn't even know t''s would molt upright! Everything I've read is: refusing food and on their back = molting.
Not eat like a ravenous beast and curled upright = molting :rolleyes:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sorry! She's made me a nervous wreck this morning. I didn't even know t''s would molt upright! Everything I've read is: refusing food and on their back = molting.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tarantula...where logic is gone and every spider just does as it damn well pleases :D Especially Avicularia.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
How do you know she's molting? Has she popped her carapace?

Last edited:

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
How do you know she's molting? Has she popped her carapace?
I don't, But when i poked her, one of her fangs was outstretched and had white under it. (best description i can give.) So that's why I'm thinking she's molting. I'm not going to get a picture because if I keep messing with her, if she is molting, i might kill her. at this point it's a waiting game. She has a full water dish and she's warm.:)
Unless someone is 100% sure she ISN'T molting.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I don't, But when i poked her, one of her fangs was outstretched and had white under it. (best description i can give.) So that's why I'm thinking she's molting. I'm not going to get a picture because if I keep messing with her, if she is molting, i might kill her. at this point it's a waiting game. She has a full water dish and she's warm.:)
Doesn't really sound or look like she's molting to me, but regardless there's nothing you can do no matter what she's doing. So ya just leave her be for a while, and then let us know what she does. Hopefully it is just an upright molt. Usually an avic wouldn't even be on the sub let along molting upright, but maybe since she was just rehoused, that's where she feels safest.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A stretched out fang? I have no idea why that could be. I hope it is molting....it does sound a bit weird, but like you say, messing will do more damage.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Im not here to rain on your parade just giving my opinion on this all.
To me what you described is almost textbook for what a lot of other people with avics have experienced called nematodes. Often times with adult wild caught avicularia they come in with the parasites and appear fine. Eat fine. And so on. But they come to a point where they are very attracted to any water source. At this time it is when the parasites leave the t. And the t has little time left.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
To me what you described is almost textbook for what a lot of other people with avics have experienced called nematodes. Often times with adult wild caught avicularia they come in with the parasites and appear fine. Eat fine. And so on. But they come to a point where they are very attracted to any water source. At this time it is when the parasites leave the t. And the t has little time left.
Ya that's exactly what I thought when he mentioned the stretched out fang with the white under it. Decided not to say anything though as I wasn't sure if he was describing it very well. Didn't even put two and two together with the water issue though, glad you mentioned that.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Holy crap, i didn't even think about that! It is not an adult Avic though, still has its sling-red abdomen.
@Tdcandama96 , any progress?
If it is nematodes, you should check its mouthparts for white stuff/wriggling things. But it is a tough situation. If it is molting, you shouldn't move it, but if it is nematodes, the T needs help. @viper69 @cold blood can you give your opinions on this?

boxturttle

Arachnopeon
Make sure it has water and leave it be for a couple days. Dont even go near it. Much more likely to die from over care than under care.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Holy crap, i didn't even think about that! It is not an adult Avic though, still has its sling-red abdomen.
If it is nematodes, you should check its mouthparts for white stuff/wriggling things. But it is a tough situation. If it is molting, you shouldn't move it, but if it is nematodes, the T needs help. @viper69 @cold blood can you give your opinions on this?
Well it can happen at any stage of a Ts life cycle. I have mostly read the horror stories from sub adult to adult avics brought into the usa en mass.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
She's still curled up, I'm not home now but when I get back I'll check. She's really REALLY defensive atm. Super slow though.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
If it's nematodes, I'm so sorry but there's nothing you can do. :(Just let her go. And make sure you wash your hands as you can cross contaminate.
On the other side she doesn't look like she's in a death curl.
I would leave her alone just like you're doing. If it's the worst case scenario know that we're here for you.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
If it's nematodes, I'm so sorry but there's nothing you can do. :(Just let her go. And make sure you wash your hands as you can cross contaminate.
On the other side she doesn't look like she's in a death curl.
I would leave her alone just like you're doing. If it's the worst case scenario know that we're here for you.
There may be actually, found this thread linked over on another T forum a while back: http://thebts.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-5420.html
DO NOT try it though OP unless you know for sure she has nematodes. But if it does end up being that, it would be worth a shot instead of just letting her die or euthanizing IMO.

But in all honesty, another part of me thinks she's absolutely fine and just stressed from the rehouse. Avics can be deceiving, they'll move slow like they're lethargic, and then bolt insanely fast if you bug them enough. But the water dish, fang issue, and being on the sub is still worrisome.

Last edited: