sorry for another dumb question...

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crickets! LOL Pinhead crickets that is. They are new born crickets, and as the name suggests, they are the size of the head of a pin. Any sling that is big enough to eat, can eat a pin head. If pin heads are too small you can get very young crickets that are a bit larger than pin heads, but still quite small. (most of our slings are off the pin heads and on to the next size up).

Ali

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, you have a few choices, depending on what is available where you are:

pinheads--itty bitty baby crickets
drumstick legs of adult crickets--this works quite nicely but it's not fun ripping the legs off of the big uns :(
chopped up adult crickets or mealworms--another fun one to prepare :(
beef hearts--this might be the easiest to get a hold of but I don't know if all tarantulas will accept it.

Hope that helps!

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by alidpayne
If pin heads are too small you can get very young crickets that are a bit larger than pin heads, but still quite small.
Ali
Oh yeah, you can do this and smush their heads so they don't try to eat your itty-bitty sling! :mad:

The possibilities are endless! Well... actually, you've got about 5 choices! =D

kellygirl

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
thanks...i dont have a spiderling...well not that small anyway...but i was just wondering...thanks though

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You could also try termites or nymphs of the several species of feeder roaches that are available. And you can raise them inside, where as crickets are both very stinky and noisy. Take a look over on the "other bugs" forum to find more about the cockroaches. Termites, you should be able to find about 8-10 nests per acre of land through out the world, by just digging around. Just make sure to stay away from any areas that might be treated with insecticides. Also, make sure to ask before digging them on anyone but your own property and make sure you repair as much damage to the area by placing things as closely back to the way they were before you disturbed the area. Like if you moved stones or rolled a rotting log, roll it back with the same side up. That way you keep the colony of termites and other creatures using it as a home almost as happy as they were before you collected several to feed you "kids". Mother Nature will thank you for your consideration

Oh, just because you can feed termites, don't feed ants. They are carnivours and could injure or kill a sling

partsman

Arachnopeon
i use 2 weekers , some pet stores know how old there crickets are some don't