Sorex araneus

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by krucz36
it seems like scoring samples from a huge mean dirty-mouthed lizard could get your ass violently bitten as well.
People were getting sick just from touching their skin! Gawd...

as far as gilas are concerned, their venom comes from a gland, then travels down these tooth grooves? that's pretty wild. do they end up swallowing it? freaky nature.
Yup...like most venomous herps, they are immune to thier own venom.

Freaky indeed!

Poisonous bird??? Hmmm...Marabou stork is a good guess...vultures? Seagulls? I'm thinking scavangers...

Wade

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
ha ha! who likes off-topic thread? i do, i do!
yee haw!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Long tailed shrews aren't venomous? I see, thanks.
I wasn't thinking of them as potential live prey..just potential dead prey

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it seems like scoring samples from a huge mean dirty-mouthed lizard could get your ass violently bitten as well.
as far as gilas are concerned, their venom comes from a gland, then travels down these tooth grooves? that's pretty wild. do they end up swallowing it? freaky nature.
I was lucky enough to be at the San Diego zoo when it was feeding time for the Komodo Dragons.....to say they have a tremendous feeding response would be an understatement! I clearly remember a 6 footer gulping down full size rats with two chomps and a head toss!
Ed

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pitohui birds, Eurasian quail and the Carolina parakeet is your answer. 3 poisonous birds, not one..:D

Ernie

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
do you mean they're poisonous to eat, or they produce poiosons to deliver in some other manner, like the salivations of dragons or the platypus spur?

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
that's awesome atavuss. i live like 20 minutes from there and still can't manage to over and see them.
i'm about the same distance (a little closer) from the wild animal park here. i've been there once in the last ten years. sheeeeesh

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
Sorry, it was me who failed to register on that poisonous bird thread. BTW, Mr. T, I stand corrected on the # of poisonous birds, however, the Carolina parakeet is extinct. 'Twas the pitohui from New Guinea I was after. Well done!
Best...
Jim

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
np, atavuss! it was just a gentle suggestion in case you weren't someone we knew.
"pitohui" sounds like a cartoon FX for spitting don't it?