Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Soon to be scorpion owner here.

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Fishforbass23, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Just regular mealworms because giant mealworms are hormonally treated by chemical inhibitors that has also been used as a fly pesticide if I am not mistaken.

2. Fishforbass23

Fishforbass23 Arachnopeon Active Member

Ok cause i dont wanna choose like small meal worms and they be not of intrest because they're too small

3. Outpost31Survivor

No worries there, a hungry juvenile AFS will voraciously mob a mealworm for sure. ;)

4. Fishforbass23

Any advice on handling?

5. Outpost31Survivor

AFS may not want to be handled, and their claws are quite painful and can draw blood. They are willing to use their sting too (nothing worse than a bee sting).

But I have handled them before. Best method is to let them crawl onto your hand and walk them using both hands like a treadmill letting them crawl from one hand to the next, etc. Also walk them on your hands above a bed or a table so if they do have a spill they won't suffer an injury. Avoid elevation.

And once your done let them crawl back off your hand back onto their terrarium substrate.

If you make an attempt to handle the scorpion and it immediately takes a threat posture, it would probably be better if you don't press the issue as it will use those claws on an errant finger.

And I would be leery handling adult/subabult though, their claws are strongest and their pinch very painful.

6. Fishforbass23

Oh ok. I was going to consider holding it like once a month. Also do they need calcium with d3? I bought reptile calcium thats got D3 and is phosphorus free i believe.

7. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnosquire Active Member

Absolutely not, that's a reptile thing.

8. Fishforbass23

Well i heard scorpions need calcium dust on the crickets or meal worms you feed them

9. Outpost31Survivor

Nope they don't require calcium supplement at all. Its strictly for reptile and amphibian captive care.

10. Fishforbass23

Oh ok. Google is wrong then lol because alot of websites say to dust them. I had a leopard gecko once and at first never dusted or gutloaded his food and he never got sick or anything. He grew big just fine without supplements and never had a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.