Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Soon to be scorpion owner here.

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Fishforbass23, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Fishforbass23

Fishforbass23 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Soon to be asian forest scorpion owner and was wondering a few things. What size meal worms and how many per week.and how often should i clean his enclosure and is water and vinegar good for cleaning? And tips would be appreciated.

2. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

What size is the scorpion going to be? Usually most people feed once or twice a week. I'll feed my emperors 2 or three mealworms each sitting sometimes they're not hungry and will only take 1 just depends on the scorpion. Mine are around 5i. Depending on the size if your scorpion you'll feed mor or less. If it's an adult try for bigger prey items roaches crickets etc. You should get springtails theyll keep the tank clean of any organic material. Keep the enclosure warm and moist. Plenty of substrate for it to burrow into and a few hides. Want it nice n deep. Good luck!

3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Also keep in mind, once plumped, the usually great eating scorp may refuse food for extended periods of time.

4. Fishforbass23

I think it will be a juvenile. Also i bought a small cave hide for him. Will it be ok that its not bark. And i also have a ceramic flower pot for his cool side as a hide

5. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnobaron Active Member

That should be fine, here is my AFS set-up (I am using bark instead):

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/enclosure-terrarium-pictures.48951/page-85#post-2983876

Mine closed itself up in its warm hide yesterday, hoping that means a molt is coming very very soon.

6. Fishforbass23

7. Outpost31Survivor

I had a flower pot with long crack down the side and I gently tapped it with a tack hammer after wrapping it in a hand towel. I would probably use the smallest hammer available but if you have to use a standard hammer, I wrap it in a hand towel and give it a quick sharp tap. If the pieces are suitable I would choose the best piece. But if the piece is suitable but a tad too misshapen I would even more gently tap the edges to shape it better. Depending on the size, depth and shape of the pot, you can even bury half of it into the substrate or 2/3s of it too. ;)

8. Fishforbass23

Ok thanks. The flower pot i have is about 4 inches high maybe less and that was plan was to just burry half of it in substrate sideways just enough for him to get in there and be able to relax and i feel like if i tried to break half with my luck id break the whole thing lol.

9. Outpost31Survivor

Excellent idea! I have had bad breaks in the past before. Depending on the species of scorpion and the shape of the flower pot one can design a "burrow" or a "scrape". In this case, burrow design fits.

10. Fishforbass23

How long you think i should wait to feed him after I get him to let him get use to the enclosure?

11. Outpost31Survivor

Once its rehoused and settled in you can offer a cricket that would be fine. Often times, I feed them later in the afternoon or the next day upon making a run to the pet store.

12. Fishforbass23

I dont have any fake plants yet but i saw that i had some fake flowers and fake thistles would this work in the enclosure?

13. Outpost31Survivor

Yes that would work it is pure aesthetics keepers do this to give it a more "natural" appearance. The scorpions aren't hurt neither benefit from it. Some even throw in fake leaves and/or vines to provide the enclosure ground litter that scorpion may even retreat beneath. But hides will always be what the scorpion primarily uses.

14. Fishforbass23

Okay my only concern is the fake flowers have metal wires in the stems and i wanna make sure its not gonna hurt him or anything. Im always cautious

15. Outpost31Survivor

I don't think there is any real danger, it's highly unlikely a AFS with its setae (sensitive sensory hairs) would accidently impale or injure itself. It will detect any nasty protrudence and move around it. What about trimming the wires or would that ruin the aesthetics? And if you provide hides it won't do much burrowing.

Oh, and congrats on your new pet, AFS are one of my absolute favorites.

16. Fishforbass23

Yea i was gonna cut enough to where there's no wire showing and shove into the substrate and hopefully it works. Yea ive always wanted a scorpion and ive got everything ready except heatpad and the temp controller that is coming in Tuesday and my Afs is supposed to be in Thursday or Friday hopefully.

17. Outpost31Survivor

I think the scorpion is very safe. ;)

18. Fishforbass23

I'll probably post a pic of my set up when i get it all ready.

19. Outpost31Survivor

20. Fishforbass23

So lets say its a juvenile would i need large meal worms or small. Ive tried keeping crickets before and they always die easy and meal worms seem to last way longer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.