Sometimes I think they do this on purpose( molt sexing)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So I haven't gotten a good molt from this "girl" in the four months that I've had her.. She always rips apart her molts :mask:

I pulled this one from her yesterday and was excited about the lack of carnage only to discover this.. 20170424_095934.jpg She left the entire molt untouched but tried ripping out the important bits.. It's almost like she is mocking me:banghead:...GRR!!

Any ways I gathered all the kings horses and all the kings men and did my best to reconstruct this P.irminia's molt again. As seen here 20170424_095816.jpg I'm basically positive the spec on the right is spermathicae but the left one is almost Completely ripped apart and attached to a thread of the exuvia containing the rest of the epegastric furrow.. To me what looks like a spermathicae on the left side is actually (and may be containing the other spermathicae) is a tattered thread of the exuvia. It's kind of misleading and to some may give the impression that it's deffinately a female.. In person it's fairly easy to tell that it's not what it looks like.. Pics can really screw up alot of detail that the eye detects.

Your opinions on the sex of this T are welcome as I could be wrong. I'm pretty confident it's a girl though..

I also wonder how many of you after letting the molt soak for a few minutes cut off the portion of the molt after the second set of book lungs? Basically the portion right in front of the spinnerrettes just before the book lungs..I find by removing this area the abdomen is much easier to unfold.. You can clearly see the portion that I remove in the lower section of the first pic..

Also for those wondering about the growth rate of P.irminia the molt is on a 32oz deli lid and this is a pic of that girl when I recieved her six months ago 20160924_224511.jpg She is just about four inches now :angelic:

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Some of them are butts for sure, I have never had anything even resembling a molt form both my E. uatumans. Every single time it was a rolled up munched carcass that looked more like a bolus. One hooked out one has molted twice since so I'm guessing its female.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I can't even begin to guess, but thanks for the tip on cutting unnecessary material off. My GBB always rip their molts...by the time I'll be able to sex them they could very well have molted to MM. :shifty:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some of them are butts for sure, I have never had anything even resembling a molt form both my E. uatumans. Every single time it was a rolled up munched carcass that looked more like a bolus. One hooked out one has molted twice since so I'm guessing its female.
I get that alot from my P.mut's my a H.livs, H.albo they never bring them to the surface instead they end up chewing them up and incorporating them into there burrows.. Luckily they are confirmed females so it doesn't matter!

Sadly I have only gotten one molt from one of my E.uatuman's and she ruptured during the molt which resulted in her death. I examined the molt and it appeared to have a cyst type lesion on the inside of the old exo and it took her insides out while she was pushing off the old exo.. I was so bummed.. She was W/C and never settled in as good as my C/B female so I had a feeling something was a little off. Eh you win some you lose some though I guess..

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I don't really try with burrowers anymore Cyriopagopus, Chilobrachys, Ephebopus, Nhandu... They just love to destroy their molts, I may be lucky just to get part of a leg.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I know how you feel man. This was the 4th molt I got trying to sex my C.versicolor and she almost tore it up too bad to tell. I've had burrowers that I've yet to see a molt from.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I also wonder how many of you after letting the molt soak for a few minutes cut off the portion of the molt after the second set of book lungs? Basically the portion right in front of the spinnerrettes just before the book lungs..I find by removing this area the abdomen is much easier to unfold.. You can clearly see the portion that I remove in the lower section of the first pic..
I do this if it's a small molt or it's abdomen is really twisted. Then I place it in the water gently separating the twists while it's floating which helps sometimes as well.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How about a happy ending....finally! My little 2" A. burica molted sometime this weekend and although I had to dig it out the molt was unusually intact. It's a Girl!!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How about a happy ending....finally! My little 2" A. burica molted sometime this weekend and although I had to dig it out the molt was unusually intact. It's a Girl!!
I had the chance to buy 5 inch confirmed female for 50 bucks a few years back. I passed it up and kick my self in the :mooning: doing so:banghead:...

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I had the chance to buy 5 inch confirmed female for 50 bucks a few years back. I passed it up and kick my self in the :mooning: doing so:banghead:...
Yep the other blue fang LOL although a bit less metallic than the Ephebopus version they start showing it very early. Cant wait till she is 5"

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
My P. fasciata does this to me, last molt I grabbed my phone to check for non intrusive ways of getting a fresh molt. No more than 2 minutes and I look up, the brat is all over it. :banghead: Didn't get it until the next day, it was beyond help by then :meh: