Something wrong with my B.smithi?

Gwen

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct area and following the rules of the forum. :)
I've been a ghost member for a while now, and haven't had to post anything until now. I've tried my best to find a thread already on here that seems to be pertaining to my specific problem, but no luck.
I've had my little B. smithi for a while (I've attached a few pictures, apologies for the quality). "She" has been molting regularly and has never had any issues. It's been a while since her last molt, especially considering her size. She hasn't been eating, and I've tried pre-killed crickets as well. I'm afraid it's not just due to her being in premolt, as her abdomen wouldn't indicate so (it really looks a lot bigger in the pictures).
My main concern is that her back legs seem to just drag along as she moves, and they won't bend at all. One of her left legs seems abnormal. Her two front legs won't really bend at all either, and she's been holding them up off the ground most of the time (defensive pose, but maybe she cant bend them either, like her back legs?) ... I tried to get a decent angle in the picture to show this, and if it'd be helpful, I can take more. I just don't want to stress her out.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.01.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.01.54 PM.png 20170327_204444.jpg

Has anyone experienced this with their Ts? ANY input at all would be very much appreciated. If there's anything I can do to help her, I want to do it. :(
Thanks in advance!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi all,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct area and following the rules of the forum. :)
I've been a ghost member for a while now, and haven't had to post anything until now. I've tried my best to find a thread already on here that seems to be pertaining to my specific problem, but no luck.
I've had my little B. smithi for a while (I've attached a few pictures, apologies for the quality). "She" has been molting regularly and has never had any issues. It's been a while since her last molt, especially considering her size. She hasn't been eating, and I've tried pre-killed crickets as well. I'm afraid it's not just due to her being in premolt, as her abdomen wouldn't indicate so (it really looks a lot bigger in the pictures).
My main concern is that her back legs seem to just drag along as she moves, and they won't bend at all. One of her left legs seems abnormal. Her two front legs won't really bend at all either, and she's been holding them up off the ground most of the time (defensive pose, but maybe she cant bend them either, like her back legs?) ... I tried to get a decent angle in the picture to show this, and if it'd be helpful, I can take more. I just don't want to stress her out.

View attachment 235263 View attachment 235264 View attachment 235265

Has anyone experienced this with their Ts? ANY input at all would be very much appreciated. If there's anything I can do to help her, I want to do it. :(
Thanks in advance!
Will summon the Master. @cold blood she needs help. I don't know what's going on with her T.

Gwen

Arachnopeon
@crone @cold blood Thanks for your response!
I was thinking the same thing, but I've been checking the enclosure and I haven't found an exuvium. I'm almost 100% sure it hasn't molted between now and when it was healthy. It's a mystery to me.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
could it be that her molt is long over due and her new skin is starting to harden inside the old exuv?whch could be fatal btw,but dont be alarmed since that is just a theory and im not sure as well.im curious since this is the 1st time i've heard/seen such issue on a tarantula.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
could it be that her molt is long over due and her new skin is starting to harden inside the old exuv?whch could be fatal btw,but dont be alarmed since that is just a theory and im not sure as well.im curious since this is the 1st time i've heard/seen such issue on a tarantula.
I know with crabs if they don't kick off the molting process by secreting enzymes to separate the old shell from the underlying skin then the new exo stays just another soft layer. It's likely the same for tarantulas. If they don't kick off the molting process then the new exo is just sitting there waiting. Once they do if they don't get done before the new exo starts to harden then they can have problems. I don't know if they get to a point where they have to molt or of they can wait for a period of time if conditions are bad.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@crone @cold blood Thanks for your response!
I was thinking the same thing, but I've been checking the enclosure and I haven't found an exuvium. I'm almost 100% sure it hasn't molted between now and when it was healthy. It's a mystery to me.
Sorry to hear your T isn't well.

I would have guess a bad molt too. It could have chewed up the molt or buried it but that is less likely. Could you talk a few photos of the enclosure in case that gives some clues?

Gwen

Arachnopeon
It's definitely possible that it did something with the molt. I might have missed it. I just never saw any indicators that it had molted at all (as far as the actual tarantula goes), and the exo and its size stayed the exact same. The idea that the new one is hardening underneath definitely seems possible as well. I hadn't thought of that. I uploaded a few videos to the links below if that helps:

I also noticed that the two front legs and two back legs kind of wave up and down in unison a lot (strange?). You can hopefully see that in one of the videos. I couldn't get much footage of her walking around, and didn't want to stress her out. I'll post a picture of the enclosure soon. Thanks again for all the input!

Last edited:

Gwen

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping her in this little cup. It has a ventilated top and I use coco husk as a substrate. I just kept her on the paper towel (very slightly moist on one side, not too much) the last day or so, so I can monitor her progress (or regress).

Attachments

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Looks kinda like what people describe as DKS although DKS seems to be a very broad term describing uncoordinated movement in general and appears to have a number of causes. I would also have kept her in her original setup with coco fiber and just bumped up moisture using a dropper since the towel could just cause stress and doesn't really help.

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't keep her in that...too much moisture is going to be detrimental for that species.

Really what it boils down to is 3, maybe 4 legs, which for a spider, really isn't a big deal...it would be like if you ripped your pants...it wouldn't stop you from living, it would just be awkward until you changed the clothing.

I'd expect to see the t self amputate the bad legs prior to the next molt. Be happy if you see such a thing.

I really do think it molted on you and just had a rough go of it....bad molts result in legs like this very often...in fact, its the only thing I can ever think of seeing that had such an effect on limbs. (which doesn't mean that there couldn't be another cause)

Keep trying pre-killed, I would offer wax worms and/or mealworms as well...they're fattier and will build bulk faster than crickets. I've even given a small piece of chicken.

Please show us a pic of its permanent enclosure.....it could supply other explanations (even if its another cause, the above advice remains the same).

Gwen

Arachnopeon
Okay, good. I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do or not. I'll move her back onto the original substrate. Will post a picture later.
I'll also try switching up the feed. And yeah, my OBT was down to five legs when I originally got him, and he's thriving now :)
I'll just hope she makes it through another molt and it'll be okay. Poor thing.

Thanks a million!

CJW

Arachnopeon
I also noticed that the two front legs and two back legs kind of wave up and down in unison a lot (strange?).
I don't know how fast a T's heart beats but i'd imagine fairly slow given their slow metabolism, so that waving is probably just hydraulic pressure from the heart beating making them move.

Gwen

Arachnopeon
I don't know how fast a T's heart beats but i'd imagine fairly slow given their slow metabolism, so that waving is probably just hydraulic pressure from the heart beating making them move.
Ah, that would make sense.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
When I ordered some Ts, I received an LP, upon unboxing it, I noticed it didn't want to move/extend its front left leg ..it kept its leg close to its body. It moved around and ate fine, never dropped its leg... when it molted, it regenerated a new leg from the knee down. First time I had ever experienced anything like that. 2 molts after that and you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with any of its legs. Hopefully yours will be like my LP.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
I suggest that you place a small water dish if there is a room in the enclosure. It might be not necessary,but it gives the T another source if energy if incase she rejects the pre killed food. Make the top of the dish be at level with the substrate,or atleast close,to make things easier for her(if it actually does make it easier, thats what i'd do anyway)

Gwen

Arachnopeon
When I ordered some Ts, I received an LP, upon unboxing it, I noticed it didn't want to move/extend its front left leg ..it kept its leg close to its body. It moved around and ate fine, never dropped its leg... when it molted, it regenerated a new leg from the knee down. First time I had ever experienced anything like that. 2 molts after that and you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with any of its legs. Hopefully yours will be like my LP.
Amazing how resilient they are, no? Fingers crossed! I don't want to lose this one.

Gwen

Arachnopeon
I suggest that you place a small water dish if there is a room in the enclosure. It might be not necessary,but it gives the T another source if energy if incase she rejects the pre killed food. Make the top of the dish be at level with the substrate,or atleast close,to make things easier for her(if it actually does make it easier, thats what i'd do anyway)
Good idea. I'm going to mash up some mealworms and I'll try that as well. Thanks!

Gwen

Arachnopeon
Not sure if anyone is still following the saga of this little one, but she didn't make it, sadly. I've only lost one sling before, and it ended in a death curl. Maybe her exo underneath did harden. I checked for mould, didn't find any. She ate a bit of pre-killed meal worm so I was hopeful.
Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated.

Attachments