something werid happened when feeding my Grammostola Rosea

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone.
I fed my G. Rosea with a female dubia last week, but she didn't eat it (i know that they sometimes don't eat for a long time). And the dubia just dug herself into the substrate, and she came out today. My T. bit the roach and after about 5-10 minutes, she just let it go, and the dubia was unharmed. Can anyone tell me what might have happened?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It could be that the t didn't actually bite the roach, rather she just "grabbed" it with her pedipalps and/or front legs. T's hunt through movement and many times, when a dubia knows it's in trouble, it'll cease moving for infuriating amounts of time. After grabbing it, your t was probably trying to gauge if the thing it had grabbed was food or not. Since the roach stood stock still, the t probably thought it had grabbed an oddly shaped piece of debris.

Take the roach out. If/when your t molts, the roach can easily munch on and kill your t.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
It could be that the t didn't actually bite the roach, rather she just "grabbed" it with her pedipalps and/or front legs. T's hunt through movement and many times, when a dubia knows it's in trouble, it'll cease moving for infuriating amounts of time. After grabbing it, your t was probably trying to gauge if the thing it had grabbed was food or not. Since the roach stood stock still, the t probably thought it had grabbed an oddly shaped piece of debris.

Take the roach out. If/when your t molts, the roach can easily munch on and kill your t.
Okay, thanks for telling me, but she molted right around new year so i think she has some time to go for the next one.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
T wasn't hungry.
So, has it eaten roaches in the past?
I've some Grammostola sp. that refuse roaches, crickets and morio are their food choice. Raised from slings this isn't the case, as they'll take any live prey when hungry. IME.
Burrowing dubia is avoided by crushing the head, still thrash about and stimulate a T to eat, if hungry. ;)
I use S. lateralis, they don't burrow and will climb rough sufaces, right into awaiting fangs. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
T wasn't hungry.
I've some Grammostola sp. that refuse roaches, crickets and morio are their food choice. Raised from slings this isn't the case, as they'll take any live prey when hungry. IME.
Burrowing dubia is avoided by crushing the head, still thrash about and stimulate a T to eat, if hungry. ;)
I use S. lateralis, they don't burrow and will climb rough sufaces, right into awaiting fangs. :)
I ordered S.lateralis last week and fed them for the first time this evening, wow. Even my A.metallica grabbed it right away! Overall much more feeding responses than with superworms or crickets, and some even better than locusts!
Sorry for the detour OP, but maybe it helps you too :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I ordered S.lateralis last week and fed them for the first time this evening, wow. Even my A.metallica grabbed it right away! Overall much more feeding responses than with superworms or crickets, and some even better than locusts!
Sorry for the detour OP, but maybe it helps you too :)
Awesome feeders, can easily out produce dubia if not keep in check. ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Awesome feeders, can easily out produce dubia if not keep in check. ;)
Oh i'm not planning on breeding them. I just got a mixed tub with every size in it, from small nymphs to larger adults. They don't freeze when i pick em up, the whole tub starts to panic when I move them :p

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
After grabbing it, your t was probably trying to gauge if the thing it had grabbed was food or not. Since the roach stood stock still, the t probably thought it had grabbed an oddly shaped piece of debris.
So,T,s do have a thought process!!!!!!I knew my M.robustrum,s love me and dream of me.:wideyed:
And before anyone breaks their fingers slamming the keyboard,im kidding already.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone.
I fed my G. Rosea with a female dubia last week, but she didn't eat it (i know that they sometimes don't eat for a long time). And the dubia just dug herself into the substrate, and she came out today. My T. bit the roach and after about 5-10 minutes, she just let it go, and the dubia was unharmed. Can anyone tell me what might have happened?
Maybe not hungry, some Ts don't take to roaches either.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
T wasn't hungry.
She has,