Something VERY interesting

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most of you scorpion people remember back in dec. i got a B. Jacksoni w/ scorplings. They have done very well. Well today i went to take a look at the the mom and she has given birth agian. This time the scorplings seem much smaller but there are maybe 3 times as many. They have molted into there first instar and have pigment. Correct me if im wrong but i dont ever remeber hearing of a scorp giving birth more than once a year. never mind 2 months apart. I will try and get some pics to post later. So i can show you the size of her first scorplings in contrast to this one.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
On the contrary, many scorpions can perform this little trick. They can delay development so as to produce two sets of young from one insemination.

Cheers,
Dave

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info dave. here are the pics of the 2 broods. you can see the size and # difference.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Well now that is very interesting...I knew aboyt double clutching but I would not have thought about the size difference...weird....I suppose more babies=smaller babies?...just like with humans maybe.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed you guys are right. As the fact is, the more there are, the smaller they are, as well and the number of the young depends not only from species of the scorpion, but the individual scorpion as well. I discovered this through Hadogenes troglodyes myself (as well as pics on C. vittatus females with different numbers of young though in the same molt and having none been being made meals of from the mothers or a certain number being subtracted through means of food). A very interesting fact on scorpions (or certain species if this is the case) if I may say so myself. My first group of young was quite a bit larger than the second group as the first group had less in quantity as well (from the same male). I also discovered this though means of Heterometrus spiniferis as well (but one male while already gravid, [I think]). I had two groups of young from both species and all seem to be living quite well at the moment, considering, now they have all been sold to very pleased buyers or currently are great grandparents and/or the other. Until I actually had this happen, I knew nothing of the sort ever having happened before, though I didn't have a computer at the time and knew nothing of posting messages to any forum about this information nor answers from it. Well, good luck on both groups of little ones and I hope everything goes as well as you plan. Good thing you took pics, cause I never had it happen again and don't have any pics myself to show of this very interesting fact.

adios and thanks for the info addition

PS: If you are interested, I may be as well interested in purchasing some newly arrived scorps myself. I don't currently have any Babycurus sp., minus the newly ordered (purchased as Hottentotta) and would be most interested in more if you are as interested as I currently am. *grins*

Last edited: