Something very different and unique from Peru

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What kind of documentation do you need to export from Peru? I was under the impression that they were pretty stingy with granting exports of any live animals, regardless of species and protection level. I see lots of S. American imports, but live stuff from Peru is definitely an uncommon occurrence.
That is a great question and you are absolutely right! However, my friend and I are part of a project that is a cultural heritage center. This is a large (on one hectare onf land) project that has an art center, a learning center, a medicinal plant garden, an ayahuasca center, an aquarium of amazonian fish, a museum of amazonion biology, a market place, and much more. This project is to preserve the indigenous culture and to teach them to conserve the rainforest and use it's resources wisely, not destructively. It will attract a lot of tourists as well as the area already has a high volume of tourists that travel through the town to get to the jungle, but never really stay in the town. Our breeding project is associated with this cultural heritage center. This is how we are able to get permits for such a project and it will allow us to work with just about any species from Peru. Our only road block is we need to have a breeding facility ready to operate before we can actually start any kind of export.. Peruvian government INRENA's rules. So, that is what we are waiting for.... for the magic funding fairy to elite on our bed and magically make 9000 dollars appear under our pillows so we can afford to buy the land and building for the breeding center. Once the land and building are purchased, it immediately becomes part of the project and the construction of the facility begins. After that, the construction of the museum begins. Would be nice to see this actually happen. I wish I had a convincing way to prove to people this is a serious thing, but I do not have that proof yet. All that proof is in Puerto Maldonado and I am stuck in Lima for the next couple months.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
I'll be donating as soon as I can would love to see these guys in the hobby

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If I had 9000 bucks to spend I'd donate it here in a second! These are one of the most striking tarantulas I've seen in a long time!

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
If I had 9000 bucks to spend I'd donate it here in a second! These are one of the most striking tarantulas I've seen in a long time!
You could just donate what you can over time that's what I'm going to do.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahhh.. such is life.. the magic donation fairy is just a myth.. :(

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
Ahhh.. such is life.. the magic donation fairy is just a myth.. :(
I have hope that hobbyists will want to both protect these new species of It's and would want to add them to there own collection and breed them so they can become part of the hobby that's what I'm planning to do at least. :) but I'm a glass half full guy.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have hope that hobbyists will want to both protect these new species of It's and would want to add them to there own collection and breed them so they can become part of the hobby that's what I'm planning to do at least. :) but I'm a glass half full guy.

that is what I am aiming for Duffman

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well then there are at least two plans for breeding these T's depending on how many are in a sac its a good start.

On one hand, I hope that they have a ton of babies per sack, so the prices drop and we all are able to get one eventually. (Unlike the 24k baboon), but on the other hand, I hope they stay rare so that they don't just become another overlooked tarantula since everyone has one. Things lose their sheen when enough people get them it seems.

Then again, this isn't a black and white issue and odds are even if everyone has one, they just look so cool people will keep coming back for them. I really hope that third one happens.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
On one hand, I hope that they have a ton of babies per sack, so the prices drop and we all are able to get one eventually. (Unlike the 24k baboon), but on the other hand, I hope they stay rare so that they don't just become another overlooked tarantula since everyone has one. Things lose their sheen when enough people get them it seems.

Then again, this isn't a black and white issue and odds are even if everyone has one, they just look so cool people will keep coming back for them. I really hope that third one happens.
I hope for the third one to but its better that the species survives and is thought of as unappreciated than it die out. Just my opinion.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I hope for the third one to but its better that the species survives and is thought of as unappreciated than it die out. Just my opinion.

That is very true. I never even thought if that. I'm expecting something happening with G. Rosea some time in a few years. If they ever stop import of these guys like they get put on CITES or something, I bet prices are going to shoot up and they'll not be so overlooked.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
That is very true. I never even thought if that. I'm expecting something happening with G. Rosea some time in a few years. If they ever stop import of these guys like they get put on CITES or something, I bet prices are going to shoot up and they'll not be so overlooked.
That is the thing that i find funny people sometimes view the value of T's by there price. maybe because they havent had interactions between the specified T's but its sad really.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That is the thing that i find funny people sometimes view the value of T's by there price. maybe because they havent had interactions between the specified T's but its sad really.
yeah. I mean, there is really something charming about this potato of a spider we call a G. Rosea. not much character but it just makes them that much cuter!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Very true. I never value a T on price just how much i want it/look after it, the only time i will is if im asked a price of certain T's or they maybe out my price range at certain times of the week/month/year.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
yeah. I mean, there is really something charming about this potato of a spider we call a G. Rosea. not much character but it just makes them that much cuter!
A rosea was one of the T's I considered for my first t but I really want my first one to come from this project

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

I actually make a list of the It's I want and I'll just get them when I can :)

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually find the less valuable species to be much more appealing in my eyes. I have a feeling this species will not be a species of low value however. I think it will hold it's value pretty high to most keepers no matter what the price does. They are just too cool.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a new LP today, WHY MUST YOU PROVOKE MY ENVY ONCE MORE?! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do the males have the red wings as well?

How exciting, keep us updated!
Actually, yes... they do. The males are not black either. They are a reddish brown color with 2 red wings. Definitely harder to see on the males than the females, but how cool is this species! can't wait to release more info on these to the hobby!