Answered something strange is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is no other site I go to that gives me more problems than this site as far as slowing down computer processing goes. What's up with this problem concerning this site? I delete temp files and "history", so those are not the problem. What's going on here? I switched browsers, was faster at first but then the slow-down happened again.

cold blood

Staff member
I have the opposite...most forums slow my computer, many cause it to freeze up....never on this site though.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There is no other site I go to that gives me more problems than this site as far as slowing down computer processing goes. What's up with this problem concerning this site? I delete temp files and "history", so those are not the problem. What's going on here? I switched browsers, was faster at first but then the slow-down happened again.
This is either your ISP, choking bandwidth during heavy usage or some other reason, or with your computer itself. I had that problem which was traced to my ad blocker and a couple of obnoxious TSRs and the occasional slow down as the ISP runs policing scans for illegal software transfers.
And of course I'm ignoring the apparent fact the folks running the server AB sits on are some strange form of a comedy routine.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is either your ISP, choking bandwidth during heavy usage or some other reason, or with your computer itself. I had that problem which was traced to my ad blocker and a couple of obnoxious TSRs and the occasional slow down as the ISP runs policing scans for illegal software transfers.
But it's "only" this site, I go to several other sites and don't have the problem.

The Snark

Old Timer
But it's "only" this site, I go to several other sites and don't have the problem.
What browser are you running? What is your internet connect? (Cable, DSL, etc)

It really smells like something in your computer. Possibly look-ups or phone homes, or detections. With all the bots camped on AB your browsing history recorded out there somewhere may be undertaking searches for matches and so forth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was using internet explorer and things were slowing down, "especially this site". Then pressure from my internet server(att) said I should "upgrade" to one of these browsers, presenting a list of 5 or so. I chose fFrefox. At first things were moving much better, faster. But I always had problems with internet explorer and "arachnoboards" Then I changed to Firefox and didn't have those problems ......for a day, but now the same problems are encroaching using Firefox. It's very suspicious looking, to what end I don't know but something is causing a problem.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let's take a step by step. Do you have a program that monitors memory usage?

And what is your virtual memory settings?

And how much memory do you have? How fast is it? How full is the HD that the virtual memory is using and how fragmented is it?

IE Browsers are HUGE memory hogs if you don't limit and restrict them. This is where to start.

DO this. Hit cntrl+shift+escape. Select Processes. Select sub Memory. Check out the top entries. Compare that to your available memory and your virtual memory availability. Take your total usage of the HD the virtual is on and how fragmented it is into account.

Example, right now Firefox is using 1.9 GB of memory in my comp. I have 8 GB of relatively fast memory. I also have a separate logical hard drive dedicated only to spooling - virtual memory, that is 1/3 larger than the virtual memory Windows recommends. I never get slow downs unless some special program is running in the background.

I was going to lead you through some of the cache settings but my settings are so damned modified this would probably spell certain doom.

Well, I'm not having this problem here anymore. I've jumped around on this site today and it's really fast now, still using the new browser, it's a lot faster. Task manager shows pretty normal memory usage, 2.1G in use atm. IE was using a lot, I remember looking at task manager and shutting things down because of it. Firefox is def better/faster. My next project is to load Linux to an old laptop to learn how to use that, I just think it's a good idea, some kind of hunch I have.

The Snark

Old Timer
Let's take a step by step. Do you have a program that monitors memory usage?

And what is your virtual memory settings?

And how much memory do you have? How fast is it? How full is the HD that the virtual memory is using and how fragmented is it?

IE Browsers are HUGE memory hogs if you don't limit and restrict them. This is where to start.

DO this. Hit cntrl+shift+escape. Select Processes. Select sub Memory. Check out the top entries. Compare that to your available memory and your virtual memory availability. Take your total usage of the HD the virtual is on and how fragmented it is into account.

Example, right now Firefox is using 1.9 GB of memory in my comp. I have 8 GB of relatively fast memory. I also have a separate logical hard drive dedicated only to spooling - virtual memory, that is 1/3 larger than the virtual memory Windows recommends. I never get slow downs unless some special program is running in the background.

I was going to lead you through some of the cache settings but my settings are so damned modified this would probably spell certain doom.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Old Timer
Very tempting to write this off as a kegger Christmas party at the server AB is sitting on.
Tommy Chong voice: "Aww man! Some of those wire came loose!"

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My hunch has always been that it's some kind of advertising link locking me up, but still working fine so far. The pattern has been that it works for a minute, then a lock up, "long running script" message, then I end that and would work OK. Then I was getting the same pattern lockup with Firefox but no option over what to do. Ad feed it seemed to me that IE could deal very well with that FF handles better, don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.