Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Something starting to grow in tank

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by MiaPow, Sep 20, 2019.

1. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    C6333881-F5AF-4750-86EE-C5B6A04E0A82.jpeg 224D864E-1BE4-4080-9AA0-569509D9F76F.jpeg 657C2C96-6A76-4895-9E2C-6344FBCBAB55.jpeg I have four Vinegaroon tanks and every tank has a piece of cork bark, large piece of moss and reptil soil as substrate except one is coco fiber. One of the tanks has a small green plant looking thing starting to sprout. It just pushed thru the dirt in one day because I check every tank daily and it wasn’t showing yesterday. I do mist all the tanks at least once a week but I don’t leave it drenched in water. Humidity sits anywhere between 75-85. I’ve not had any issues with mold or fungus as of now. I tend to spot clean the tanks and provide clean water often. It would look pretty cool if a plant started to grow and add some life to the tank but should I be concerned and remove the plant or let it continue to grow and see what it becomes.

2. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it, but keep in mind that the plant might not last long (through no fault of yours--those are tough conditions for a plant)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon Active Member

I don’t have real experience with live plants, I’ve never used them before except the current moss in the tank, but whats considered tough conditions in my current set up? I wouldn’t change any of the living conditions that would cause a subpar life for the creatures, I’m just curious.

4. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Low light, you probably won't fertilize, you probably have a shallow soil lair with no drainage. You'll end up with periodically hypoxic and waterlogged, hypersaline, nutrient poor substrate with low light, which even a pothos might struggle with.

5. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

And the usual paradox of as low bioactivity as possible to reduce hazards for the animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.