Old Timer
Woooooow :drool: :drool: :drool:

i like those orange huntsmen a lot :}
very clear and sharp pix too :clap:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks, Steven!

While i´m not too deep into Sparassidaes i always wanted to get hold of this particularly species. They look just plain strange...

Greetings,

Stefan

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Hi,

thanks!

If you like the outer-appearance of the Scytodes, go take a look for Portia specs... No sweeter spider possible than that guys...

Greetings,

Stefan
PORTIA!!!

i've read heaps about those! the hunter of hunters, and killer of killers!

supposedly they exhibit long term (for a spider) memory in their hunting methods and almost primitive problem solving!

... bet they are REALLY good escapers!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I really hope i´ll be able to find this out for myself soon...

Saw them in a tv-documentation and was instantly in love with ´em, great little jumpers!

Not only long-term memory but the ability of abstract-thinking processes,too! Unbelievable how a spider with a brain of the size of a salt-corn is able to do that!

Greetings,

Stefan

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
I really hope i´ll be able to find this out for myself soon...

Saw them in a tv-documentation and was instantly in love with ´em, great little jumpers!

Not only long-term memory but the ability of abstract-thinking processes,too! Unbelievable how a spider with a brain of the size of a salt-corn is able to do that!

Greetings,

Stefan
awesome... i can't wait to read the Portia Diaries! :)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don´t expect too much!

These guys are hardly known by anybody and they are definately hard to get!

If i SHOULD be able to get hold of some, i guess it´ll take something like six months at least... But: worth the try, to say the least... ;-)

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bump!

Some more news....

The pleasure with getting slings is to watch them grow, so here we go again... :drool:

First to come, the spitters, look how leggy they get:
(Fresh after molt, still quite transparent)

Shot without flash, unmoulted sister in size comparison at the right corner

The wolfes had been the first to molt:

They´re still social, as long as there´s plenty of prey...

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Next

Not the only molts, i´ve got a sad story to tell, too:

The Peucetia madagascariensis are said to be quite social too. During the first days this was indeed true, until one of them decided to molt:

They´re so social, they not only like to live with each other, but like to snack at each other, too :embarrassed:

More updates after the next molt...

Oh, by the way @ Cacoseraph: my inquiry about Portia fimbriata and P. labiata is out to Malaysia, now it´s time to sit, wait and hope for the best.

Greetings from "here-are-no-big-wolfies-around-country" germany,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Those little Tarantula's are to damn cute :} :} :}
lovely little spiders !

(i'm expecting some intresting little wolfspiders this week also,... will make you drool :drool: :razz: ;) )

good luck with the "spitters",... i'm curious how they look when adult :)

and i also kept some peucetia's in the past and they didn't seem that social either to my experience :confused:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steven said:
Those little Tarantula's are to damn cute :} :} :}
lovely little spiders !

(i'm expecting some intresting little wolfspiders this week also,... will make you drool :drool: :razz: ;) )

good luck with the "spitters",... i'm curious how they look when adult :)

and i also kept some peucetia's in the past and they didn't seem that social either to my experience :confused:
Hey,

THAT wolfes you got make me indeed drool... :drool: :worship:

Regarding the spitters, i´ve got a clue how they´ll look when adult. I first thought, the "exotic" spitters would just look like a bulkier version of S. thoracica, which is common in many parts of europe (while i´ve never seen one around here). By accident i stumbled across a pic of a south-american Scytodes spec. in one of my spider-books. It´s quite the opposite, the body seems quite identic to S. thoracica, but the legs are way longer. They look kinda Pholcus-like to me.

The Peucetia really don´t impress me too much. They got nice colours, but that´s it in my opinion. I´m more into hunting-behaviour and coming to that they just plain suck! While my lil wolfes take down prey double their size, the Peucetia only takes prey items which are half it´s size. Quite ridiculous for a hunting-spider, if you ask me. Anyway, my last specimen just molted today and turned out to be a male, so i´m gonna give him to somebody who likes to breed this species...

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good hope...

Hey all,

looks like i´m gonna be a daddy soon. The fatter one of my malaysian oranges has just built me a nice fat sack! :}

Let´s hope for the best!

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update!

Hi again,

when it´s just up to behaviour, the "spitters" (Scytodes spec) are the by far most interesting spiders i´ve ever kept!

The first specimen has molted again.

This spiders are definately social, if given the choice, they prefer the presence of their kind to being alone. Quite fascinating!

Despite their still small size, they´re definately very skilled killers, other words just wouldn´t suit them right. I wonder what they´d be able to take down, if they´d grow to bigger sizes....

However, now to the sharp-shooters :worship:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It´s not over yet!

Hey again,

quite the opposite to the silent, sneaky snipers pictured above are the brute, lightning-quick wolfes.

I hope you don´t mind, that i jumped one molt....

Here´s "Seven", the biggest, rudest and my most beloved L. tarentula of them all :evil: , enjoy:

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I´m bored...

Hi Guy´s n Gals,

i´m terribly bored, The Simpsons start just in about half an hour here, so i though i might as well just post some more pics.

One of the malaysian huntsman molted last night, guess she´s adult now. Uploaded the pics on a german board already, but perhaps some of you might like them too.

Anyway, here they are...

Nothing new from the other creepies yet, so that´s it for today (at least i´ve wasted 5 minutes with this post...).

Greetings,

Stefan

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW!!!

That huntsman is absolutely incredible! How big?

Really great pics too... I recently had a photo session with some florida huntsmen- they DO NOT make the easiest subjects :eek: ! Your photos turned out much better...most of mine showed only the spot on the cork where the spider had just been.

Good luck with them! (and your prospective portia project!)

Lindsey

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Lindsey,

thanks for your comment!

The pictured specimen is a lil bit over 1 inch (3cm) in body-length and has something around 4-5 inches legspan.

The Heteropodids had been quite cooperative when i took the pics, they just sticked to the wall and didn´t even blink, when i used the flash.

I had some other experiences that resembled more yours with Lycosa tarantula, taking pics of those is real hard. Just as you said, whenever you have the cam adjusted, they´re gone.

Another specimen that´s real hard to take good pics of, is my actual Phoneutria nigriventer wc female. Apparently she has only 2 modes: quite calm, but resting someplace where you can´t get good pics of her, or, really p***ed off but out in the open where you could get good pics of her. The problem is then the same like with the wolfes, when the cam is adjusted, the lady has in most occassions decided to go away... :mad:

What might help with huntsman is feeding them before you try to shoot them. In my experience, most hunters are quite occupied with eating and don´t care much what´s going on around them. This trick even works with Phoneutria spec. With wolfes it´s a different story, i tried to play my L. tarantulas with this, but they just kept the prey in their mouths and ran full-throttle. Hmm, someday i will hopefully come up with an idea, that will even work with that kind of spiders. Till then i have to rely on my luck. {D

Greetings,

Stefan

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip! I've done that with Ariope, they usually will stop that web bouncing business if they've got food to occupy them, but I never would have thought that it would work on huntsmen-I thought nothing could slow them down :)

Lindsey

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for sharing those photos. I really enjoy seeing photos of your true spider collection, so feel free to post more photos whenever you want! I'm getting more and more interested in true spiders. I recently accquired 4 juvenile Holconia immanis, great spiders, but they definitely are fast! Too fast for me to get good photos of at the moment. I should also have a few Lycosa carolinensis on the way soon as well.

Cheers,

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
looking ALLLLLL very good Stefan ! :D

here's a little update-picture for you ;)