Something May be Wrong

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
One of my A. metallicas (The one that won't eat) just recently molted. something weird might have happened during the molt since she cannot grip the plastic on the enclosure. I found her trying to climb the walls above the waterdish and she fell in.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I had a large A.met abandon her web and molt on the ground recently.. She sat down there and recovered for almost a week before she climbed back up into her web..

If your girl is large and freshly molted I'm guessing she is still too weak to climb the smooth walls of the enclosure..

Any way you can post a pic bro?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I had a large A.met abandon her web and molt on the ground recently.. She sat down there and recovered for almost a week before she climbed back up into her web..

If your girl is large and freshly molted I'm guessing she is still too weak to climb the smooth walls of the enclosure..

Any way you can post a pic bro?
Sure. It's been two weeks since the molt so I sort of assumed she was recovered.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
IMG_0182.JPG I moved her to a temporary home that isn't as tall. I didn't want her to fall and get hurt.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sure. It's been two weeks since the molt so I sort of assumed she was recovered.
Oh.. She should be fully recovered by now.. I would gently usher her over to the water dish and hope that she drinks.. She doesn't look too bad but the way she is acting sounds abnormal.. I would bet dehydration..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have not tried that yet. she's right beside it to start with I was waiting to see if she discovered it on her own.
My biggest concern with Avics after a molt is dehydration.. It's at these times I will do the unthikable :eek: and mist a small section of the wall of the enclosure with a very little bit of water and also leave a few droplets close to them on there webs..

It's something I have allways done so I don't have any evidence that it helps other than they almost always drink within minutes of doing it and my Avics never die or seem to have many issues that I hear about from other keepers.. I usually wait a day before doing so..

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
My biggest concern with Avics after a molt is dehydration.. It's at these times I will do the unthikable :eek: and mist a small section of the wall of the enclosure with a very little bit of water and also leave a few droplets close to them on there webs..

It's something I have allways done so I don't have any evidence that it helps other than they almost always drink within minutes of doing it and my Avics never die or seem to have many issues that I hear about from other keepers.. I usually wait a day before doing so..
I'll give this a try when I get home.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
She's been having this same problem since the first day I got her. It may have been premolt before but I'm wary to think that. A 5 months period of time not being able to grip well seems a bit long.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron

Just an update. I nudged her over to the water dish (uncooperative little devil) and I saw her eating tonight, hope she's almost if not fully recovered.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
And why is that "unthinkable"?

Same here but I do it as soon as I notice they've molted, some take advantage, others don't (those that don't I'll often offer droplets again in a day or two). It's not "unthinkable". It's S.O.P. for me with all of my spiders at all times and has been for years, from tiny slings to adults. I don't (ok, rarely) use water dishes. And I'm not talking misting for humidity reasons, just for drinking (1-2 times a week, usually once unless the heater has been running a lot).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And why is that "unthinkable"?

Same here but I do it as soon as I notice they've molted, some take advantage, others don't (those that don't I'll often offer droplets again in a day or two). It's not "unthinkable". It's S.O.P. for me with all of my spiders at all times and has been for years, from tiny slings to adults. I don't (ok, rarely) use water dishes. And I'm not talking misting for humidity reasons, just for drinking (1-2 times a week, usually once unless the heater has been running a lot).
I was just joking.. You know the whole never mist an Avics enclosure myth. Lol.

Not that I reccomend everyone go and spray there Avics all willy nilly and what not but in some situations it's warranted..

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ah, gotcha, my sarcasm detector wasn't functioning yet lol