Something different-Need some help to I.D.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Rob, I think I see the one you're missing on caco's small pede, there's a very short one that's easy to miss on his, it's the second segment. It's very short and easy to miss.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rob,

have you checked the taxonomical elements i provided in my earlier posting?
Then we would know much more.

Take a look at Stevens wonderful homepage (www.scolopendra.be) to get familiar with the taxonomical elements of a centipede. Then you could maybe provide some detail pics and we don't have to speculate on wrong segment-counts or sizes.

Regards
Turgut

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, remember that any physical traits can be changed if a centipede is damaged and regenerates. i would guess that antennomeres, especially the ones on the distal (far) end of the antenna would be lost and regrown the most. centipedes tend to lead and explore with their antenna and so i would expect they get damaged, lost, and regrown the most

one neat example of regenerating gone wrong is a centipede i used to have that grew an extra foot on one leg every time he molted. i have a pic with four feet on one leg :D

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Galapoheros,
I trying to do this looking at a picture is my bigest problem.I've tried counting
segments.then I tried counting legs and I keep coming up with the same
number.But still a polymorpha over 20 cm.It's impossible.I don't keep any
Polymorpha.Because I prefer larger the larger pedes.I've never seen a Polymorpha over 16 cm.But this one is over 20 cm. long without antennas and it's 12 mm. wide without it's legs.I you look at the first set of pictures I posted.You will see a half buried
plastic water cup.That cup is 63mm wide and 30 mm high.If you use that to
help to compare the size of the pede in question.You will see it dwarf any
Polymorpha.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
12mm is not too wide for a polymorpha

is 20cm counting the head, body segments, and last legs or just the body segments and head?

really, all discussion of length and location is moot compared to the taxonomic characteristics Mr Bourbon so kindly detailed

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Cacoseraph,
With antenna and legs it's a hair more than 8".
if the 20cm is with legs as you indicated then there are plenty of polymorpha that big that i have owned and caught myself. i just saw one yesterday that was almost that big and didn't even think about catching it for being a giant size

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi
I don't know what Polymorpha you have or seen.I have never seen them.
6" is about the bigest i've seen or herd of.If you have a bigger one I would
sure like to see it.Put something next to it to compare the size with.I have about 40 pedes.But I don't have any Polymorpha.Because I don't care for
the smaller species.But if you have a big one?I would really like to see a
picture.Thanks for the post.

Satellite Rob

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

judging on what you have seen or not seen is like me telling people there is no such "Thailand" cause i haven't been there before. I personally only trust on identification keys, because there are so many centipedes you would ID wrong if you only judged by color and size.

I don't know for sure what it is, cause it's impossible to say with the provided pics, but regarding "location": I have seen centipedes that were not officially distributed in collecting areas, so i assume the distribution of centipedes varies over time.

If you want to call your centipede "Scolopendra heros satelliterobensis" then go for it, but don't ask for identification and regret any advice given by people to help you identificate the centipede in a proper way.

Nevertheless it's a beautiful centipede - and a species name won't change the colors.

Regards
Turgut

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Turgut,
In the early to mid 1990's I worked at the largest importer of reptiles and
arachnids in the U.S.We will call them Stric Rept for short.Thay didn't bring in
bugs by the 10's and 20's thay got them by the 1000's.I was there a couple
of weeks ago and unpacking 600 T.Blondi.Plus 600 A. Metallica.I still go there
a couple of times a month.To pick out T's and pedes for some dealer friends.
of mine.Hi Brandon,Todd,Joe and Pete.On a bad trip thay I see 5000 T's,pedes and
scorps.On a good trip you can double it.
So I see more bugs in one trip than most people see in a life time.So
over the last 17 plus years I can't tell you how many thoussands or mybe
hundreds of thousands of T's,pedes and scorps i've seen.I still very friendly
with the owners and there always glade to see me.I seen just about every
kind T,pede and scorp that was ever collected.I'm not just talken the U.S.I'm
talken all around the world.If it was exported to the U.S. i've probably seen
it.I must say it only been the last 5 or 10 years that pede have become
popular in the hobby.Your right I never been to Thailand.But I still have a
couple of different species of pedes from there.Turgut thanks for posting and
have a great day.

Satellite Rob

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

i believe you have seen a lot of inverts, but i don't know what it has to do with IDing a centipede in a proper way with the right literature.

To me importing and unpacking plenty of centipedes is a nice and funny part of the hobby and i compliment you for making those experiences, but it does not imply you identified each species right in past.

There are a lot of people in the hobby who don't care about species-names and just keep their animals to look at the beautiful colors. And even those people may have rooms full of inverts - and still i don't see a connection between taxonomy and being an importer (since a lot of importers are not able to identify centipedes without pictures of already identified resembling species).

These issues have much to do with business and market, but not with taxonomy. Else i must imply a lot of myriapodologists have less experience in identification, because they don't have the chance to unpack 2000 pedes each week. I guess we agree that this is pointless.

Nevertheless i find it strange you have been in the hobby that early and have seen so many centipedes, gained so much experience and still are convinced with your 20 segment-count. :)

If you knew pedes that well you haven't asked for this one, right?

That underlines my theory there is no mandatory connection between being in the wholesale pet trade and knowing the pets you keep.

If you provide detail macro-pictures in this thread instead of telling people your importer/exporter-experiences (we want to identify a centipede, not make a job interview) we could prove or disprove your theory if it's a S. polymorpha or not - it's that easy. We have enough people that are familiar with centipede taxonomy in this forum and even hobbykeepers/traders who wrote books and have described new species.

Nevertheless you can take a look at the link Rick posted earlier in this thread - i suppose it's the same species, but with slightly different coloration.

Enough said - i guess you will find out for yourself. And don't forget to tell us what it really is. :)

Regards
Turgut

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Turgut,
I never said I could I identify a pede.Thats why I asked for help.But I do
know it's not a Polymorpha.Just by seeing so many over the years.I wish you could see it and you would probably agree.Do you know the importer i'm
talking about.I've been trying to take some detailed pictures.But i'm having
a problem.I have a Nikon D60 camera and it has a 3 different macro settings
and I still can't get a clear close up picture.Cameras and taking pictures are not my
strong point.I was able to find Shelly's email address and was going to send
him some pictures to see if he could help.But i'll probably have to wait to it
dies and then send it to him to know 100%.I did go to the website that Rick
posted and spent some time there today.I plan to go back tonight and try to work
this out.I still waiting for someone to post a picture of a Polymorpha more
than 6-1/2 inchs.By the way i'm much better with T's.Turgut it's always a
pleasure posting you.Have a great day and thanks for the help.

Satellite Rob

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The D60? ..I think that's supposed to be a great macro camera:? . I've heard the D40 is as well. Yeah maybe you haven't found the right setting yet, I'd keep messing with the settings. When you're in the macro setting, I think you're supposed to see a little tulip looking flower icon on the screen.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The D60? ..I think that's supposed to be a great macro camera:? . I've heard the D40 is as well. Yeah maybe you haven't found the right setting yet, I'd keep messing with the settings. When you're in the macro setting, I think you're supposed to see a little tulip looking flower icon on the screen.
He probably has the kit lens, he'd need a dedicated macro lens to get the kind of shots he wants.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just read a little about the camera, it does have close up mode. But even if it's a lens thing, it's 10.2 MP and a clear pic can be blown waaay up and then crop out the areas of interest. Keep playing around with it Rob, those things are capable of doing so much, it can be overwhelming at first.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys,
My Nikon D60 came with 2 lenses.The close up lens is a AF-NIKKOR 18-55mm
1:3.5-5.6G and the second lens is for distance.My problem is only with close
up pictures.Like I said before.Taking pictures is not strong point.Any help
would be great.I was thinking about taking some classes at the local high
school.But I never seem to find the time.Thank you

Satellite Rob

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Take your time going through the manual. I like to do that kind of thing in bed before I fall asleep, put the camera on a table next to you so you can look at stuff on your camera you read about. I don't mean to sound so simple but, I swear a lot of people don't know how to get organized about learning these kinds of things. See if you can find "macro" in your manual. And/or turn the settings dial on your camera and see what it says on your screen at each setting, lol start pushing some buttons and see what happens haha, that's a bad way but sometimes it works for me. Best to take you time and look in your manual.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Turgut,
In the early to mid 1990's I worked at the largest importer of reptiles and
arachnids in the U.S.We will call them Stric Rept for short.Thay didn't bring in
bugs by the 10's and 20's thay got them by the 1000's.I was there a couple
of weeks ago and unpacking 600 T.Blondi.Plus 600 A. Metallica.I still go there
a couple of times a month.To pick out T's and pedes for some dealer friends.
of mine.Hi Brandon,Todd,Joe and Pete.On a bad trip thay I see 5000 T's,pedes and
scorps.On a good trip you can double it.
So I see more bugs in one trip than most people see in a life time.So
over the last 17 plus years I can't tell you how many thoussands or mybe
hundreds of thousands of T's,pedes and scorps i've seen.I still very friendly
with the owners and there always glade to see me.I seen just about every
kind T,pede and scorp that was ever collected.I'm not just talken the U.S.I'm
talken all around the world.If it was exported to the U.S. i've probably seen
it.I must say it only been the last 5 or 10 years that pede have become
popular in the hobby.Your right I never been to Thailand.But I still have a
couple of different species of pedes from there.Turgut thanks for posting and
have a great day.

Satellite Rob
Dont ask for advice, then turn around and argue with the people giving it too you. And wow, congrats.. im sure your one cool dude but it has nothing to do with IDing pedes. All this sounds like is you trying to gain some sort of pride over a forum.
Anyways im sure we are more than willing to help you ID your new pede none the less.

-CJM-

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi CJM,
If anyone could show me a Polymorpha that is over 20 cm.I might beleave it
could be one.But I don't think it would very hard for anyone to post a picture
of 16 cm and that would be a less than 6-1/2".I would like to see some proof
before i'm forced to beleave something that might not be true.So if anyone
has Poly over 6-1/2".Please post a pictures with something in it to show
size.Like a ruler.If you don't a ruler.You can a silver dollar or 50 cent piece.
Anything to help compare the size to.I spent about 4 hours today reading about Heros and Polymorpha.I am trying to learn to I.D. each species.
Because I be waiting for ever before someone to post a picture of a 20 cm
plus Polymorpha.I would settle for a 6-1/2 incher.I not trying to be a hard
ass.I'm starting to beleave that i'm going till it dies.Then send it to Shelly to
have it identified 100%.Well CJM thanks for posting and have a great day.

PS:I'm going to return to the books tomorrow.I will learn what I need to know
to I.D it myself.

Satellite Rob

Last edited: