Somebody Tell the Dark Den to Stop!! (Unless I'm Wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
But youtube is for entertainment, it isn't encyclopedia or something. I watch Dark Den, because I just enjoy his videos, doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. I run my T collection my way. And you can't expect he will do everything as you think he should.
Btw, grabbing T with tongs or fingers is common practice. Big breeders do it if they want to sex T fast and accurate, for example when going to expo.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
That's fair, it's just that some people look to him for real advice which can end up being problematic. I watch him for entertainment value too, not on how to care for my pets.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
But youtube is for entertainment, it isn't encyclopedia or something. I watch Dark Den, because I just enjoy his videos, doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. I run my T collection my way. And you can't expect he will do everything as you think he should.
Btw, grabbing T with tongs or fingers is common practice. Big breeders do it if they want to sex T fast and accurate, for example when going to expo.
It is for entertainment, but people will take it as so and I've heard from various people that's the way they gather information. And when they're called out, they routinely say 'Well *insert YouTubers member name here* did it this way and they're experienced so that means I can do it too'. It's why I mentioned saying having a disclaimer is very important.

I've never heard of grabbing a T with tongs for sexing in my five+ years of keeping Ts, none of the breeders that I talk to do it that way either, but then again in Europe it could be different. But from what @boina (she's a user from Europe) mentioned, it doesn't seem to be common practice either.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I have seen many, many stupid things in youtube that I will never try to repeat, I have my own mind, as everybody;)
About T keeping, there is no only way. If I would show you how we do it in Poland you would probably say everything is so wrong. But Poland is doing pretty well in T keeping, breeding, and selling;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I have seen many, many stupid things in youtube that I will never try to repeat, I have my own mind, as everybody;)
About T keeping, there is no only way. If I would show you how we do it in Poland you would probably say everything is so wrong. But Poland is doing pretty well in T keeping, breeding, and selling;)
You're one of uncommon ones, as is everyone else on this thread. Not bashing anyone, but if you frequent the FB groups I do and read the comment section on YT videos, not everyone thinks like that. They're basically cult followers who replicate everything their 'idol' does.

Never said there was one way either, I have a close friend in the Netherlands who has his own way of caring (pinch grabbing which is something I don't do, but his T's are well cared for so that's all that matters) for his T's. Never said Poland isn't, but there are some things that are basic husbandry requirements, having a water bowl, enough sub. (for fossorials), etc. are some of the things that are universal.

Last edited:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
They're basically cult followers who replicate everything their 'idol' does.
Thats their problem. Just one word 'Jackass', I don't know what was funnier, watching original jackass, or ppl who tried to replicate them xD

I know what you mean, some ppl take example from wrong source, but there is nothing you can do about it. If someone is smart, he will always look for extra informations about topic he is interested in. If someone is 'cult follower', do you want to change cult leader to make him better in something?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thats their problem. Just one word 'Jackass', I don't know what was funnier, watching original jackass, or ppl who tried to replicate them xD

I know what you mean, some ppl take example from wrong source, but there is nothing you can do about it. If someone is smart, he will always look for extra informations about topic he is interested in. If someone is 'cult follower', do you want to change cult leader to make him better in something?
Oh god you're bringing back memories from elementary school and junior high were idiots were riding their bike into a wall because they saw the people on 'Jackass' doing it....haha

That's true, but a little warning go could a long way, something like "This is the way I take care of my tarantulas, it could be wrong and I suggest doing your own research on the topics covered" could go a long way

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Is it just me or am I the only one who never pictured Dark Den as the Face of youtube (for our Tarantula Hobby)? First 2 that come to mine - Exotic Lair and Tom's Big Spiders. Perhaps he has a large following overseas, but I doubt peeps from the States see him as the face of youtube. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of his uploads, but I can say that about a number of peeps (exp. Tarantula Kat).

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You can't possibly get an entomophagic fungus from substrate like coco fiber - it's impossible. With every infection you always need a source organism, meaning another infected animal. I've never ever heard of that happening and I won't believe it until I've seen irrefutable proof that the substrate really was the source. Just because something happens at the same time doesn't mean there is a causal connection. Germans as a rule don't sterilize anything and I've never heard of anyone ever having an entomophagic fungus.

As I said: sterilization won't prevent anything, that's the whole point. Having a diverse population af saprophytes and detritivores, however, prevents a lot.

Edit: Ok, I think I need to be clearer and more exact than that. So:

1. Entomomagus fungi spores can be in soil, but:
You need a certain number to achieve infection. One lone spore, or just a few, isn't enough. Insects and spiders have defense mechanisms after all. So, your substrate needs to have been in very close contact with insects that died from entomophagic fungus. How is that going to happen with coco fiber?

2. Fungus spores get eaten by detritivores. If you have a good population of detritivores any possible spores will never make it to your tarantula.

As I said: I use soil and leaf litter from the outside and so do quite a lot of people I know. No one I know has ever had an entomophagic fungus.
When I say entomophagus, I mean a particularly protein hungry Trichoderma species that weakens the roaches immune system, kills them and then consumes their bodies. The enclosures that had the outbreaks in my collection all had one thing in common: I used leaves from one particular, unsterlized batch, and in every roach and beetle enclosure that had those leaves, the Trichoderma followed, along with mass deaths. Some enclosures had coconut fiber that was sterilized and some didn't, so that had nothing to do with it, it was the leaves.

That's what I can tell you from my personal experience on this issue, it's possible that you don't have that specific species of fungus in Germany, so you don't have to worry about it, but in my experience, I've only ever benefited from sterilizing substrate, and on the other hand I've had quite a few problems arise from using unsterlized substrate and leaf litter/bark. Usually right after sterilizing substrate I did have mold outbreaks, but they only lasted about a week after sterilization before my various springtails and scavenger mites ate it all up, and it was always rather harmless molds that don't bother larger inverts much, not the nasty yellow Leucocoprinus sp. that turns the substrate into a single stinky mat, highly stressing out several roach and beetle species, or the protein hungry Trichoderma sp...

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread lol, this is supposed to be about the Dark Den. :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Is it just me or am I the only one who never pictured Dark Den as the Face of youtube (for our Tarantula Hobby)? First 2 that come to mine - Exotic Lair and Tom's Big Spiders. Perhaps he has a large following overseas, but I doubt peeps from the States see him as the face of youtube. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of this uploads, but I can say that about a number of peeps (exp. Tarantula Kat).
No, I'm with you. He's definitely not the face of the tarantula hobby. In my eyes, that goes to RobC... for better or for worse.

boina

Lady of the mites
Really? I've seen a lot of pinch grabbing, but I've never seen anyone use tweezers.

If I would show you how we do it in Poland you would probably say everything is so wrong. But Poland is doing pretty well in T keeping, breeding, and selling;)
I've seen how some Polish keepers keep their tarantulas and yes, I think it's wrong, because some at least seem to keep their tarantulas in tiny boxes. Just because a tarantula can breed under adverse conditions doesn't mean we should do it or, even worse, promote it. There are some things that are universal and no breeding success will make me consider stuffing tarantulas in tiny boxes a good, or even defendable practice. (Your own enclosures are phenomenal, of course). I strongly believe that with animals "It's mine, therefore I can do what I want with it" should not be used to justify animal abuse.

I've a lot of issues with German keepers, too, mainly they keep everything too wet and sometimes too warm in my opinion because of the ridiculous: 'but in nature!' argument. Tarantulas die in the conditions but they won't even consider changing them. And they starve their tarantulas, because they "shouldn't be too fat". Fully adult tarantulas in Germany are often tiny because of starvation and then they tell you that's their natural size...

Again, there are things that are opinions (handling, pinch grabbing, etc.) and then there are things that are simply facts.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Really? I've seen a lot of pinch grabbing, but I've never seen anyone use tweezers.
I personally don't grab spiders, I just keep them for fun, so I don't have to sex them quickly. But yeah, lot of ppl use tweezers, mainly for sexing old worlds.
because some at least seem to keep their tarantulas in tiny boxes.
I agree, there are two types of 'big' T keepers in Poland, real breeders, and sellers. Guys like, Spidersworld, Spidersonline, Arent, even thou they have hundreds of adult females still provide decent glass enclosures (but still different that are suggested here in forum;) ). But T keeping is getting more and more popular here. And lately I see (mostly on facebook) more ppl who just keep it for money, squeezing T into tiny enclosure just so they can keep more.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I used to really like Petko. Not so much anymore though. His collection is getting too close to becoming a hoard.

My prediction: He won't last. It's too hard to keep doing what he does. He does put out regular content, but that pace is hard to keep up.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
He stopped doing Wednesday videos. I think that might hurt his follower numbers. Then he’ll have to be even more “creative” to keep the fans watching.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This thread will probably end up a video rant on his site. :(
If it does, I hope he takes everything with a grain of salt and take this as an opportunity to improve, instead of an ‘attack’. After all, this is a small hobby and we all need to be working cooperatively instead of attacking each other.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't think that he has ever presented himself as a teacher, to be fair. It's just not his goal with the channel...entertainment is more what it's about.

If people want educational, they should seek out someone like Tom Moran.

cold blood

Staff member
But yeah, lot of ppl use tweezers, mainly for sexing old worlds.
I think the notion that a lot of people do that is just incorrect....like boina, I've never seen or heard of anyone using this highly suspect method of grabbing a t in my 20 years in the hobby....IMO it's a ridiculous practice that basic logic should tell you is a poor idea. What's wrong with putting a t in a catch cup to sex them? Totally harmless and non invasive and just as effective at performing the job at hand.

I'd bet 99% of people seeing or hearing about this supposedly common technique, have never heard of it.

IMO it's a completely unnecessary risk.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I just saw the tweezers video. Whoa! :eek: Then he blew blew the mold off it! :hurting::banghead:\

Just jumped the shark...

Status
Not open for further replies.