Somebody Tell the Dark Den to Stop!! (Unless I'm Wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
But you know there are hundreds or thousands of breeders who doesn't have youtube channel .?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
But you know there are hundreds or thousands of breeders who doesn't have youtube channel .?
Yes, we do know. But are they making videos that new hobbyists see? No. What you do behind closed doors is your own problem. Making videos and showing it to people on the internet for people to mimic and trying to justify yourself is a complete different story.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I really don't understand this thread. Guy just have a entertaining youtube channel about something we like. But no, he have to do thing like this, not like that. Omg if you don't like it just don't watch it. And don't worry, you will not get his sling in US.
It's one thing to care for an animal with methods different from the 'accepted' methods within this community, so long as the animal stays healthy. It's also one thing to create entertaining videos for viewers where you manipulate the animal in such a way that allows you to record better footage. However, it's another to do things that put animals in unnecessary risk, or knowingly create hybridized animals. To then film those things and release the footage to an audience the size of his following is plain irresponsible. A lot of his viewers do not even keep tarantulas, they simply like his content. He is essentially misinforming people beyond the bounds of other tarantula keepers.

As stated, I will no longer watch his content. I didn't comment on his videos with a rant about why I don't like how he has changed, I didn't "dislike" any of the content on youtube. I simply unsubscribed from his channel and won't watch any more. His desire for new viewers has begun to cross lines for me personally.

He can be entertaining without knowingly hybridizing animals in order to breed successfully, or allowing them to run around the desk while rehousing, or handling them. He states he does not condone handling or won't normally, but in nearly every video with tarantulas lately he has handled at least one, and the most recent he even puts it in the title. Actions speak louder than words.
I've been supping. What would you like know?
Just keep doing you and release about 1000% more videos. ;)

Spiderlife

Arachnopeon
I
One of the reasons i started in this hobby a year ago were his videos, i found them funny and he seemed to know what he was doing, but i have to be honest, since he moved to the new place, it looks like he just makes videos for the likes and to get more subscribers, handles a lot, and does a lot of stuff that if find weird, or just plain bad for the Ts.

Pd:sorry for my english

This is exactly how I feel.

I LOVED this channel when it was a guy looking after his inverts, showing us his upkeep, feeding and projects, building etc. He had principles, he even did a video about his views on handling etc.

But now...? He says he's not doing weds videos because their lack of interest isn't bringing in enough subscribers?
He's holding inverts in nearly every video? He's even going to create hybrids?????

Ugh, I'm so so disappointed. I really wanted this guy to succeed but he's forgotten why he started all this.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Got a New Reply from him, He states:
Oh I stated in multiple videos that I'm strongly against hybrids, will of course talk about this in the breeding video ^^
So, he says that he is 'strongly against' creating hybrids, but he is going to go ahead and do it anyway? Why does anyone need any more reasons than this to not support, or defend, him? Why does saying that he is a poor example of tarantula keeping create so much backlash when he displays that complete lack of good judgement when it comes to these animals and the hobby? Why is he not embarrassed? Does doing stupid things that you think is wrong on YouTube pass for transparency nowadays?
"I know it's wrong, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway and I am going to share my hypocrisy and poor judgement with as many people as I can on social media."... good grief.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I’m not sure what you’re not understanding? It’s mentioned multiple times that people will copy what they see, especially if it’s from their ‘idol’. Sure he’s not doing it in the US, but that doesn’t mean people in the US (or anywhere for that matter) won’t copy him. I’m not going to repeat everything I said before because I’m sure everyone understands it, but disclaimers are necessary to make sure people understand what he’s doing isn’t always ‘right’.
I think you should give newbies more credit than what I've been reading. To believe we would ignore everything we've learned from from the likes of Tom Moran and forums like this one, is somewhat absurd. Perhaps your giving Dark Den way too much credit. He has some legit videos, but no one sees him as an idol. At least not in the states...

Plus even if someone like Tom Moran posted a video on how he's realized all tarantulas can and should be handled. Do you think we would go ahead and do as told? That's a negative...and this is coming from a newbie.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I think you should give newbies more credit than what I've been reading. To believe we would ignore everything we've learned from from the likes of Tom Moran and forums like this one, is somewhat absurd. Perhaps your giving Dark Den way too much credit. He has some legit videos, but no one sees him as an idol. At least not in the states...

Plus even if someone like Tom Moran posted a video on how he's realized all tarantulas can and should be handled. Do you think we would go ahead and do as told? That's a negative...and this is coming from a newbie.
Have you read some of the comments on his videos? I'm not bashing every new person in the hobby and not every new person in the hobby is like you. From my experience posting something on his videos, as well as other replies posted on @Liquifin's comments, I don't think I am. Sure there are a good amount of people who will do the research before getting one, but just like in any other hobby, there are others that won't.

What video was that? I watch all of his videos, and he didn't say that all can be handled, he said some are more than others, but he doesn't speak on the matter really.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Have you read some of the comments on his videos? I'm not bashing every new person in the hobby and not every new person in the hobby is like you. From my experience posting something on his videos, as well as other replies posted on @Liquifin

What video was that? I watch all of his videos, and he didn't say that all can be handled, he said some are more than others, but he doesn't speak on the matter really.
Let me clarify this...Tom Moran has never ever said anything of that nature. If you read my comment you will notice I wrote "If" before I made that statement. It was given as an hypothetical example.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Let me clarify this...Tom Moran has never ever said anything of that nature. If you read my comment you will notice I wrote "If" before I made that statement. It was given as an hypothetical example.
Whoops, my apologies, read through that too fast. I blame the coffee...

But, just want to add, it sounds like I'm attacking new owners, which I'm really not. I've just spent many years in the reptile hobby, plant hobby, and now the invert hobby and it's pretty much the same story over and over. A good deal of new hobbyists do their research, while others 'impulse' buy, do a quick YouTube search and gather all their info from their.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Have you read some of the comments on his videos? I'm not bashing every new person in the hobby and not every new person in the hobby is like you. From my experience posting something on his videos, as well as other replies posted on @Liquifin's comments, I don't think I am. Sure there are a good amount of people who will do the research before getting one, but just like in any other hobby, there are others that won't.

I think a lot of the people who jump to his defence without question, will likely be very young, probably 14 and under.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I think a lot of the people who jump to his defence without question, will likely be very young, probably 14 and under.
The comments I got were apparently from people older than 'I've been alive' apparently. Also on groups, it's a mix of teens and adults. Which was quite shocking to me, as I thought the same as you.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I cannot understand people who blindly follow others without question. The word of one person is not divine scripture, so don't treat it as such. It is much more logical to follow many sources and find the better solution through analysis.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Got a New Reply from him, He states:
Oh I stated in multiple videos that I'm strongly against hybrids, will of course talk about this in the breeding video ^^
It seems that he doesn't understand that this actually is a hybridization...

petkokc

Arachnosquire
My general idea was, B. albopilosum "hobby form" is already messed up and impure so there is not much damage it can be done as long as they are labeled as such.

But after rethinking it long and hard I decided not to do it and to try and get true Nicaragua female instead. Thanks everyone for the input.

P.S.

To everyone mad at me over this or any other reason, I NEVER claimed in ANY of my videos that I'm an expert. In fact, I often mention it in my videos, that I'm just a regular keeper with exception of knowing how to make funny and entertaining videos. Just because others put me on the pedestal, it doesn't give anyone the right to degrade me. Instead, try being nicer and teach others the right way.
If someone really loves my videos, can you blame them for being defensive if you open with "he is a moron", even if I do something stupid.
I also always point people to this forum for any information they need, I really don't want to change that.

Last edited:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Heh, sooner or later there will be another thread like this. Because there will be something not professional in Dark Den video, how could he show it to ppl, they will blindly follow him. XD

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
My general idea was, B. albopilosum "hobby form" is already messed up and impure so there is not much damage it can be done as long as they are labeled as such.

But after rethinking it long and hard I decided not to do it and to try and get true Nicaragua female instead. Thanks everyone for the input.

P.S.

To everyone mad at me over this or any other reason, I NEVER claimed in ANY of my videos that I'm an expert. In fact, I often mention it in my videos, that I'm just a regular keeper with exception of knowing how to make funny and entertaining videos. Just because others put me on the pedestal, it doesn't give anyone the right to degrade me. Instead, try being nicer and teach others the right way.
If someone really loves my videos, can you blame them for being defensive if you open with "he is a moron", even if I do something stupid.
I also always point people to this forum for any information they need, I really don't want to change that.
Well the good thing about that is if you get a true Nicaraguan female and pair her you’d be able to sell the true Nicaraguan slings for a lot more than if you were to sell the mutt slings under the hobby form name.

Also glad that you actually reply to others rather than ignoring it or doing something ridiculous like crying on camera about the haters and abuse you get for views (looking at a certain big snake youtuber)

Potatatas

Arachnoknight

P.S.

I think the main worry would be that you end up with 100s (no idea how many eggs are in a sac) of Nicaragaun looking slings and you'd have to make it clear to everyone you give them to that these are definitely not the pure Nicaraguan. Now, out of the 100s of people you give slings to I'm sure there would be a small few that still insist they are pure Nicaraguan because they are more sought after than "hobby forms".

Kudos to you for taking onboard people's concerns though. I'm sure you've been here long enough to know that a lot of members hearts are in the right place and care a lot about the tarantula hobby but care much less about the keepers feelings and will tell you bluntly what you're doing wrong. I've experienced this a lot as a newbie to the hobby and it always bruises the ego to be told I'm doing something wrong especially when you've put a lot of thought into something. But in the end the members are usually right and just want every T to get a safe home.

The Seraph

Arachnolord

P.S.

Good for you! Best of luck with finding and breeding a Nicaragua variant female.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A same statement was made (altough not in the 'virtual' world) "eons" ago here in Europe, and, in result of this, we had an helluva of Hysterocrates specimens kinda 'mutt' :)

Glad you changed your mind, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.