Somebody Tell the Dark Den to Stop!! (Unless I'm Wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I've never seen or heard of anyone using this highly suspect method of grabbing a t in my 20 years in the hobby....IMO it's a ridiculous practice that basic logic should tell you is a poor idea.
Really? Grabbing T and gently pushing its a abdomen to spread spermathecea, makes sexing fast and very accurate. If you have, like one hundred of juvi maculata to sex it makes sense. Strange that in 20 years you have never seen or heard about this.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Really? Grabbing T and gently pushing its a abdomen to spread spermathecea, makes sexing fast and very accurate.
If you have, like one hundred of juvi maculata to sex it makes sense. Strange that in 20 years you have never seen or heard about this.
You wouldn't be seeing spermathecae, its only visible on molts....that's basically just forcefully vent sexing. Which IMO, would be a terrible idea to attempt with juvie H.macs.

Great way to get tagged and/or injure the spider.

basin79

ArachnoGod
If you see anything on YouTube that looks odd or you don't know check here. Even if it's heat mats. There are members on here who know they're perfectly safe if used right.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
He's just put up a new video where he mentions the difference between Nicaraguan and Honduran B. albos. But just said that he hopes pairing won't cause any problems so he's still going ahead with it. I am in a no fit shape to comment so someone else do the honours while the vid doesn't have many views

Liquifin

Arachnoking
He's just put up a new video where he mentions the difference between Nicaraguan and Honduran B. albos. But just said that he hopes pairing won't cause any problems so he's still going ahead with it. I am in a no fit shape to comment so someone else do the honours while the vid doesn't have many views
I seen the video already, and TBH he's not gonna budge. I think we can pretty much say at this point, no ones going to change his mind. He's to desperate to want to get a successful sac, since all of his current breedings/eggsacks have been unsuccessful. His fans are too strongly eager to see some tarantulas go for it.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@cold blood @boina I finally got a contact with the Dark Den in the comments. Basically what he is trying to say is that since the "Hobby" form is already hybridized. If it pairs with the Nicaraguan; the offspring will be still considered "hobby". Since the "hobby" form itself has already been labeled as hybridized along the line. So here is his statement that I got from him:

"Regarding the pairing, I don't plan to label them as Nicaragua, they will stay hobby form and be labeled as such, just if I went out and get a hobby form male, same result. Will address it in the actual pairing video."

Here's what I replied back with:

"I understand what you are trying to say. But breeding those two will strongly encourage all other new hobbyist to hybridize other species of tarantulas. Which you need to tell the fans that hybridizing other species of tarantulas is not good in the tarantula hobby and explain why. Because everyone (your fans) in Mondays video stated that hybridizing other tarantulas in the tarantula hobby is not bad at all, which in actuality it is bad for the tarantula hobby."

The Seraph

Arachnolord
@cold blood @boina I finally got a contact with the Dark Den in the comments. Basically what he is trying to say is that since the "Hobby" form is already hybridized. If it pairs with the Nicaraguan; the offspring will be still considered "hobby". Since the "hobby" form itself has already been labeled as hybridized along the line. So here is his statement that I got from him:

"Regarding the pairing, I don't plan to label them as Nicaragua, they will stay hobby form and be labeled as such, just if I went out and get a hobby form male, same result. Will address it in the actual pairing video."

"I understand what you are trying to say. But breeding those two will strongly encourage all other new hobbyist to hybridize other species of tarantulas. Which you need to tell the fans that hybridizing other species of tarantulas is not good in the tarantula hobby and explain why. Because everyone (your fans) in Mondays video stated that hybridizing other tarantulas in the tarantula hobby is not bad at all, which in actuality it is bad for the tarantula hobby."
*Sigh*
Hopefully he will listen to you, but it can be hard to hope with him.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

What an absolute moron. That really speaks volumes about his priorities.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Got a New Reply from him, He states:
Oh I stated in multiple videos that I'm strongly against hybrids, will of course talk about this in the breeding video ^^

That's good that he's going to mention about hybridization in his next video, so I replied:

GOOD :) The sooner the better

But I wonder what people are going to take from this.....

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He got the male in December 2nd (that was when the Terraplaza expo took place) so most likely he's already paired them, he mentions upcoming video in the comments. He's very ignorant to what "hobby form" really is, I hope the paring is unsuccessful.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Agreed. Monday's video earned an unsub from me. Breeding talks within the video aside, he used "HANDLING" in the title to draw views -- that's a step too far with his click-bait titles for me.

Whether he wants to be seen as an educator or not, he has released several "how to" videos, and several instructional videos targeted towards people new to tarantula keeping. He is seen as a source of information by his viewer base now. He needs to be more considerate of the implications of his actions with such a large audience who trusts that what he is doing is correct.

The replies to hybridization and plans to forge ahead have fully justified my decision to unsubscribe. Shame.

@basin79 I'm going to need more content from you to fill the gap.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon

I mean it would be ideal if he didn’t breed the two and did it properly, but at least now I understand the logic behind what he’s doing and he’s technically right about it. However, if he’s going to go through with it, he NEEDS to make it abundantly clear to everyone how this is a special case that should never be attempted with any other species.(or at all for that matter)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I mean it would be ideal if he didn’t breed the two and did it properly, but at least now I understand the logic behind what he’s doing and he’s technically right about it. However, if he’s going to go through with it, he NEEDS to make it abundantly clear to everyone how this is a special case that should never be attempted with any other species.(or at all for that matter)
Not true actually. Saying that all the ‘hobby form’ ha seven hybridized is false. To prove that they are, we’d need to genetically test them. Since it isn’t proven, they should still be kept separate.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I really don't understand this thread. Guy just have a entertaining youtube channel about something we like. But no, he have to do thing like this, not like that. Omg if you don't like it just don't watch it. And don't worry, you will not get his sling in US.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I really don't understand this thread. Guy just have a entertaining youtube channel about something we like. But no, he have to do thing like this, not like that. Omg if you don't like it just don't watch it. And don't worry, you will not get his sling in US.
I’m not sure what you’re not understanding? It’s mentioned multiple times that people will copy what they see, especially if it’s from their ‘idol’. Sure he’s not doing it in the US, but that doesn’t mean people in the US (or anywhere for that matter) won’t copy him. I’m not going to repeat everything I said before because I’m sure everyone understands it, but disclaimers are necessary to make sure people understand what he’s doing isn’t always ‘right’.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I'm subbed even though I have never even watched any of his videos, now I don't think I ever will judging by what I'm reading.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Agreed. Monday's video earned an unsub from me. Breeding talks within the video aside, he used "HANDLING" in the title to draw views -- that's a step too far with his click-bait titles for me.

Whether he wants to be seen as an educator or not, he has released several "how to" videos, and several instructional videos targeted towards people new to tarantula keeping. He is seen as a source of information by his viewer base now. He needs to be more considerate of the implications of his actions with such a large audience who trusts that what he is doing is correct.

The replies to hybridization and plans to forge ahead have fully justified my decision to unsubscribe. Shame.

@basin79 I'm going to need more content from you to fill the gap.
I've been supping. What would you like know?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So we should all look the other way? I think not.

Its very irresponsible and potentially damaging to the hobby and our species as we know them. Its one thing to do it unknowingly but hes well aware of the circumstances, and is deciding to go through with it anyway.

The Nicaraguan albos have been in the hobby for what...two years now, and they are already being hybridized. Its a real shame that some people cant see the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.