Somebody please help me pronounce Tliltocatl

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The T followed by the L is genuinely the most awkward combination of letters in all of language. It sounds so stooooopid. I can’t believe they’ve done this.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Since when is the albopilosum “red rumped”???
It's not meant to be taken literally but if you want go that route:

Both forms feature reddish hairs on the abdomen at some stage in their lives.

View media item 60915
Same with schroederi (another species that "blatantly isn't a red rump").

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In Italian* is very simple because we have some kind of cultural advantages :bored:

It's like for us spelling "Quetzalcóatl".

Now, if you can't understand me, oh Americans, don't worry: "... haremos nuestra la cordillera", a cordillera full of T's :playful:

*This from someone that basically speak French on a daily basis, since our dialect (where I live) is... well, 'adapted' French.

tamra

Arachnopeon
This is an old post but I wanted to add some info on pronunciation.

Tliltocatl is from the Nahuatl (pronounced naw-what) language for tlil (black) and tocatl (spider).

My understanding is that in Nahuatl, emphasis is ALWAYS on the second to last syllable, the trailing L in a TL ending is silent, but when TL is at the start or middle of the word both letters are voiced. I is pronounced like "ee." Grim Reaper's suggestion of Kleel-toe-cat is closest to my rendering, but I'd go with the following:

tl - pronounce both letters, as in atlas
il - like eel
so, TLIL = tleel

to - like toe
cat - like caht (like when you open up and say ahh, not a hard A like cat)
silent L
so, TOCATL - toecut

Technically the final t is not quite an English T because it has a suggestion of an S sound after it, but it's close enough, and the U sound in cut is a bit more like a cross between a and U, but again, close enough.

FULL WORD: tleel - TOE - caht, emphasis on toe, whereas the English tendency would be to emphasize tleel

(any native Nahuatl speakers, please correct me if I have any of this wrong, always learning)

I'm changing careers and a current student of linguistics pursuing a degree in ancient languages and I have some limited knowledge of central Mexican pronunciation. I've been thinking I can contribute to the community by creating a resource of spider names with the origin of the name, where possible, and a pronunciation guide (perhaps with sound clips) -- if people are interested in that. I notice even very experienced keepers often struggle with the Latin names, which is understandable because Latin rules are very different from English. I'm a newb keeper so can't add much in that area yet :)

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Interesting Tamra, thanks! What will you do with your ancient language knowledge?

Edit: unfortunately, it’s already sealed in my mind as Tuh-lilt-o-cattle! :rofl:

tamra

Arachnopeon
Well, it’s partly for personal interest (in concussion recovery right now so on a break from coding/editing) as it's kind of an esoteric degree these days, but there is a demand for these skills in writing/editing for museums, science and medical journals, etc., fact checking on some fiction projects, general research in linguistics, translating archival or archeological texts (of great interest to me!), teaching (Latin is still very useful for those in medicine or law). Also, studying modern languages is much easier when you know the Latin and Greek foundations of modern words because a large number of modern languages have these same roots. Kind of a nerdy degree I guess but I like it and it's more of an add-on to my other studies. Of course Latin/Hebrew are very popular in religious circles, but that's definitely not my bag.

Tuh-lilt-o-cattle has a fun ring to it :)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Well, it’s partly for personal interest (in concussion recovery right now so on a break from coding/editing) as it's kind of an esoteric degree these days, but there is a demand for these skills in writing/editing for museums, science and medical journals, etc., fact checking on some fiction projects, general research in linguistics, translating archival or archeological texts (of great interest to me!), teaching (Latin is still very useful for those in medicine or law). Also, studying modern languages is much easier when you know the Latin and Greek foundations of modern words because a large number of modern languages have these same roots. Kind of a nerdy degree I guess but I like it and it's more of an add-on to my other studies. Of course Latin/Hebrew are very popular in religious circles, but that's definitely not my bag.

Tuh-lilt-o-cattle has a fun ring to it :)
from my experience with the language I think you are pretty spot on. If I remember right it should also fall off on the last T, like you are almost running out of breath. So you soften that stop up a bit